Automating single pool valve

DigitalFoe

Apr 25, 2020
Riverside,CA
Any ideas for inexpensively automating a single pool valve? I have a pool valve that switches between my main drain/skimmer and dedicated pool vacuum line. I only want to automate this valve and I currently don't have my pool automated. I'm looking for a self contained controller that only needs power and has all the functionality for scheduling and position of the valve built in. I guess you can call it a 'smart' valve actuator. Is there such a thing?

Thanks

I haven't done it yet, bet I'm getting ready to as I add irrigation to the rear year. I plan on using the sprinkler timer to control some valves. A wi-fi irrigation controller puts out 24 volts, the same voltage valve actuators use. Each actuator would require two "stations;" one for each direction. Each station would only need to be activated for one minute to turn the valve. You can pick up one of the least expensive wi-fi controllers for $50 or so. There are other options out there that involve 24 volt transformers and relays, but I'm not that tech savvy.

Rancho, That's a great idea! I think it will totally work. I took a quick look at a couple of actuators ( Pentair and Jandy ) and the only thing is the current. The Jandy spec says it takes .75 amps and the two Rainbird sprinkler timers that I looked at only output .65 amps. Who knows how fast the voltage will drop as you go past .65 amps or if the timer output circuitry would blow. If I can find a sprinkler timer that can output .75 amps I'm golden. If not, as you said, the transformer and relays route is doable also. Have the sprinkler timer drive the relays. The relays control the 24V @ .75 amps from the transformer to the actuator.

Thanks

DF

I took a quick look at a couple of actuators ( Pentair and Jandy ) and the only thing is the current. The Jandy spec says it takes .75 amps and the two Rainbird sprinkler timers that I looked at only output .65 amps.
I have a Rachio controller. The tech specs show one amp output. The Orbit B-hyve shows the same. Will too much amperage be an issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.