Autofill continues to get water even though the fluidmaster 400a float is up

grey1988

Nov 14, 2017
Las Vegas/NV
Hi Everyone,

I can't figure out why my water jn the autofill will not stop. It is not filling from the small tube on top of the fluidmaster. It's coming from the bottom of the fluidmaster where there are 4 holes and I can't make it stop. Anyone have any ideas? I replaced the fluidmaster 400a so I know that is not the issue. Is it supposed to have those holes at the bottom? Water flows right through it. Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• 20201115_115430.jpg
    20201115_115430.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201115_121258.jpg
    20201115_121258.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 23
Water is supposed to come out of those holes. When you pull up on the float, does the water stop? If it stops, then the float height just needs adjustment.

Otherwise, sometimes dirt will get in the valve at the top and prevent closing. You can try and flush that to remove any debris.

If the float was performing properly, it would not have water coming out of the bottom. Again, have you pulled up on the float and does the water shut off? It may just need some adjustments. Also, just because it is new does not mean that debris can't get stuck in the valve.

When a toilet is flushed water needs to fill the tank and the bowl at the same time. Water comes down the pipe from the valve to the outlets at the bottom to fill the bowl while water comes out the nipple at the top through the tube into the bowl.

As Mark is saying something is wrong with the valve at the top having water flow.

Then there is something wrong with the valve assembly. The water should stop in both locations. In fact, I don't think it is even possible to get water out of the bottom without water coming out of the top port too since the same valve controls both. Are you sure water is coming out of the bottom with the value pulled up? Did you wait a few seconds to let the water levels stabilize? If you put your hand in the water to feel it coming out of the bottom it may temporarily raise the water level which can force more water out of the bottom.

gxANzSZ15qWfIKkHEHwScU2pXvjNDZRlDEVe38xG5jz4_D5T7BH9lW-rXgeWpRVXcLyUOvhvePGCMMNB6BCIlD8tD12mqISfm5jKwlaxgOpz41oyIHfTfedC5sGOB-pYz9y45ds

If I put my hand in the pool to cover the outlet from the autofill, the autofill will continue to fill up. It's really slow and a faint running water sound. Not the loud rush from the top of the valve that comes out of the hose

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.