Austin's Newest Swimming Hole

Just to be clear, you aren't putting any chlorine in tonight, right?

So I'm getting conflicting advice about this. The pebble startup instructions say no chlorine in the first 48 hours because of metal precipitation. But I don't think we have metal in our water here, and my PB didn't add any sequestrant (even though the startup instructions say to). On the other hand, in my "Just getting started" thread they told me the high CYA level was fine but that I needed to get some chlorine in there right away. And it's not as if my PB waited to add anything, I saw him throw something granulated in the pool to add chlorine (not sure if it was dichlor or cal-hypo) and I just tested my FC and it's 5.5 ppm. So I don't see how taking it up to the recommended level from my CYA would hurt.

You obviously don't think I should be adding chlorine tonight -- why?

First of all I think you need to keep everything in this thread right now as it will avoid getting conflicting advice.

I will tell you all I know about plaster/pebble finish is what I've read on this forum. They usually advocate following the NPC Start-Up Card, I know you said your manufacturer's card is similar....

More to come stay with me.

You might check out this thread starting at this point since they just finished filling yesterday and there is some good advice there.

There seems to always be this warranty issue with who performs start-up. That being said, you now know that your PB is NOT planning on following that procedure if he is only coming once a week.

It's your pool and you are going to have to live with it. Personally if it were me, I would follow the manufacturer's start-up procedure and keep a log to document everything you do. The Pool Math App is very convenient for recording test results, maintenance and chemical additions, but I would also keep a separate record since the Pool Math logs can't easily be printed in a "friendly" format at this point. That way if anything happens, you can show that you followed the manufacturer's instructions. Don't forget to include whatever the PB does, and note that he did it.

Post your test results, chemical additions and tell us what you did daily, brushing, backwashing, falls turned on, etc.

Please Keep it in This Thread to Avoid Confusion

That way if you do hit a glitch or need assistance, it will be easy for the experts to have all the facts and you will receive the best advice.

So I'm getting conflicting advice about this. The pebble startup instructions say no chlorine in the first 48 hours because of metal precipitation. But I don't think we have metal in our water here, and my PB didn't add any sequestrant (even though the startup instructions say to). On the other hand, in my "Just getting started" thread they told me the high CYA level was fine but that I needed to get some chlorine in there right away. And it's not as if my PB waited to add anything, I saw him throw something granulated in the pool to add chlorine (not sure if it was dichlor or cal-hypo) and I just tested my FC and it's 5.5 ppm. So I don't see how taking it up to the recommended level from my CYA would hurt.

You obviously don't think I should be adding chlorine tonight -- why?

I don't think you should add any chlorine tonight because you are only .5ppm below the minimum from what the PB added and the Start-Up Procedure (SUP) says not to add chlorine for the first 48 hours, so if that becomes an issue later the PB owns it. Your CYA isn't completely in the pool yet, but when you DO add chlorine use a CYA of 80 even if it isn't testing at 80 because that should be very accurate since you know your pool volume from reading the meter. It can sometimes take several days to get an accurate CYA reading, especially since he poured it in the skimmer. Do you know the proper way to add it using the sock method when you need it in the future?

I am concerned that the PB did not add any sequestrant?!?!? Are you sure? Hopefully an expert can chime in on that.

Unfortunately it is the weekend, but it would be nice to know exactly what the PB added. What was "something granulated in the pool to add chlorine (not sure if it was dichlor or cal-hypo)" and how much? If you knew what it was and what strength, you could it figure the amount with Pool Math if you test your fill water and subtract the difference.

I "guess" it's safe to assume the muriatic acid he added was 31.45% and at this point what is important is what your test results are in the morning.

Following the NPC startup card or the startup procedure from your plaster manufacturer is the right way to go. Adding a sequestrant is fine because it’s not just about iron or metals but also about calcium. Sequestering agents help to hold calcium in solution which keeps the plaster dust to a minimum. As for chlorine, yes, you should avoid chlorination for the first 24-48 hours because chloride ion (Cl-, the end result of chlorine reacting with stuff) can interfere with the surface carbonation of the plaster. This is also why you avoid adding salt to an SWG pool for the first 30 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. Have been at a work conference all weekend so haven't done much with the pool other than keeping an eye on the pH. On day 3 I started adding chlorine as per the startup card. No sequestrant because the PB said not to and the card lists it as optional. Have been brushing twice a day but haven't seen a lot of dust getting kicked up - there's just a few loose pebbles in the bottom of the pool and that's pretty much it.

Test results from tonight:
FC 6.5
CC <0.5
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 175
CYA 80 (assumption based on PB addition)

I added enough bleach to bring the FC up to 9 tonight, assuming that the stabilizer the PB added to the filter has mostly dissolved at this point. Will give it a few days just to make sure everything's dissolved and then do an actual CYA test. pH has been rising about .2 a day, so I'll probably add some MA tomorrow to bring it back down. Otherwise, I think things look good, the water is nice and clear and the kids have no complaints!

The dog says the jury's still out, though.

uHpy8AA.jpg

Just look at that water sparkle! I love the color! Glad to hear everything is going great for you and the pool!

LOL on the doggy! I bet he is enjoying the coolness. Has he tried to get in at all? Can a basset swim? those little legs well.............I am betting not well LOL

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.