At What Temperature Should I Open Pool/Michigan

I have one of those thermal gun thermometers, where you can point it at something, and it tells you the temperatures. Honestly, we use it mostly to play with our cats because it has a little red dot laser pointer thing they like to chase.

Point being... if I point it at my pool it is pretty darn accurate reading the water temperature. And super easy, I can do it from my kitchen. They go for under $20 on Amazon.

I just bought one of those thermal gun thermometers off of Amazon. Thanks for the insight.

Hello! It's been a while that I've been on this site. I'm so happy to be back. I see that the website is different (looks awesome). It will take some time to get used to it.

I had a question... I'll like to schedule my pool opening soon and was wondering when I should open my pool. The temperature outside is in the 40s, but I'm thinking of opening my pool in the 60s. What's your opinion on this? I know there's an answer to this question somewhere on this website, but I can't find the link.

Thanks.
I live in Michigan and I am opening my pool May 1st. It certainly won't freeze and I miss playing around with it. I want it ready to go in case we have 90 degree weather like last year in May. I'm retired so I need my morning hobby back.

I live in Michigan and I am opening my pool May 1st. It certainly won't freeze and I miss playing around with it. I want it ready to go in case we have 90 degree weather like last year in May. I'm retired so I need my morning hobby back.

Hello! Yeah, I just opened my pool. Having fun working on it. Missed it. You’re right, last year May was pretty warm. I’m crossing my fingers for the same thing to happen this year. ?

I also bought one of those infrared temperature guns recently too. It reads pretty close to the system thermometer under most circumstances. It seems to like the water moving and the cover not mostly on. Then it was almost exact. When I had the winter cover still on and only peeled back a few feet, and still water, the reading was not accurate. It keeps me from having to turn my pump on to get a temperature reading (assuming the water is already stirred, otherwise it will be hotter on top. I don't keep a thermometer in the pool because I'm worried my dogs will a) eat it or b) get tangled in it and/or c) I just get annoyed by them for some reason.

I'll be interested to see the difference between my concrete decking (hot) and my bluestone coping (hot-hot). And also what the actual temp is. I have no idea.

Your pool looks great and ready for the season in earnest.

Reactions: Mendy48
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.