West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So, I have a new theory for pool robots. It seems like the failure rate has gone up significantly in the last few years. My M500 is still going strong but it seems like an older generation of devices. My Aiper SE has failed twice already. Also for the most part when they are out of warranty they are fundamentally unrepairable. These are basically consumable throw away devices. This conclusion is based on anecdotal evidence and not real data but I am going with it.

So rather than fight it lets treat them as such.

The last item that sealed the deal is my Betta 2 is currently experiencing some issues. I bought the extended warranty from them, not the Assurion warranty. The unit is about 15 months old. So now, I can send it back to Betta be without the unit, have them repair it to some functional form (all at no cost to me), but it is still not new. They did offer for about $300 I could upgrade to their current unit. Had I bought the Assurion warranty for about the same price as the Betta warranty I would be getting my money back and could go buy whatever new robot I wanted. The turn around time is faster, cheaper, and I get a new robot.

From now on I will only buy robots where I can buy an Assurion extended warranty. Currently this limits me to Amazon, but I am hoping someone with a relationship with Marina can convince them to start offering these warranties.

I get a similar set of protection from the fancy credit cards but they typically only extend a year, and that is probably not enough.

Reactions: Newdude and Ahultin
I have been suggesting people do this for this reason or at least using a cc with extended warranty protection. I did the latter with my purchase as my cc adds a year warranty. I usually am not the extended warranty kind but I have seen that it is a better value now when it comes to items like this.

Reactions: Newdude
Unit only
So it ends up costing you the cost of the warranty
By betta lasted two years so my cost was about $25 a year
I got my refund and ordered a new one plus the warranty

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think in these times adding one for a small cost is definitely worth it for items that really aren’t that repairable or have an unknown durability factor like tvs, & even these lower priced vsp’s. They aren’t cheap per say just cheaper than before but still very worth the price if you can get several years out of them.

I've also noticed a trend of late of the 'pro-rated' warranty.
The implication is that you are trouble free for X years...but once you look at the fine print (assuming you can find it prior to purchase), that warranty quickly falls apart.
My Solar Cover has a 7 year warranty. With shipping costs and the pro-rating of the replacement, beyond about year 2, it's cheaper to buy a new one than try and get anything under the warranty.

years...but once you look at the fine print (assuming you can find it prior to purchase), that warranty quickly falls apart.
I think of this often with Circupools generous warranty. If the need arises, you will pay full retail price when you got the $10 upgrade originally.

Many companies (not necessarily Circupool) require you to pay shipping back to them, and also on the new unit.

Plus a processing fee.

It can cut a warranties usefulness in half, if they can't find a way out of it in the first place.

That all said I am also pro warranty in this and only this scenario when failures are likely. Actually I'm not. I avoid said purchase and have yet to buy a robot for this reason. Lol. But I'm for it, for anyone who forged ahead with the purchase anyway.

The only other thing I use this for is luggage. For some reason Delta finds it a sport to destroy my luggage.
I bought one for an expandable water hose I ordered. It was .99 for a two-year warranty. I wasn't convinced the hose material was going to hold up and I figured it was worth it to try out. I am glad to hear that warranty is good. The hose will probably hold up because I purchased the warranty.

Reactions: Jsf721

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought one for an expandable water hose I ordered. It was .99 for a two-year warranty. I wasn't convinced the hose material was going to hold up and I figured it was worth it to try out. I am glad to hear that warranty is good. The hose will probably hold up because I purchased the warranty.
My expandable hose busted yesterday- just outside of it’s year warranty 😩

My expandable hose busted yesterday- just outside of it’s year warranty 😩
I should have made the plunge years ago. I was skeptical. Same with corded lawn tools like edgers and trimmers and blowers. I wasted a few years struggling with cords because I didn’t trust batteries. Now I wouldn’t go back. Ego was worth my $$

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.