Assistance with amount of pool chemicals

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

understood, will do that.

How long should I keep the pump running at night? It typically runs for eight hours from 8 a.m. to 4 pm.

Also are there any resources to learn how to use the test kit; taylor k-2006c? I looked on YouTube and found a video that seemed helpful but wanted to see if there's any resources here that can simplify it and make it easier for me to start testing with the new kit right away.

Thanks again and hope you all have a great weekend!

Hey all, hope everyone is have a nice weekend. 😎

finally got my k-2006c kit yesterday. watched a youtube video that was really helpful and also the instructions on the inside of the lid are very helpful and straightforward.

I did the test twice just to get used to performing the tests as well as to see how accurate both were. I think my second test was more accurate as I swirled the chemicals more and gained some experience from first try.

1st test:
FC 3.8
CC 0.4
PH 8
TA 150
CH 130
CYA slightly above 30 say ~33

2nd test:
FC 3
CC 0
PH 8
TA 150-160
CH 150-160
CYA 32-35 (it's really hard to see the dot around 40 but really gone around 32-35)

Do you recommend I increase my cya slightly?

I need to reduce ph, I'm thinking 7.4? I have muriatic acid in the garage.in pool school it says acid will reduce both pH and total alkalinity. What is the ideal level of total alkalinity?

I have a plaster pool, do i need to increase CH to around 250?

Also, is having to add chlorine every night going to be my new normal? 😬

Pls lmk what you think

Thanks!

Great job on the test results. Use a 10 ml water sample for the FC test. One heaping scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
How does the water look?
Your CYA should be recorded as 40. Always round up to the next highest full value.
Your location appears to be in the Bay Area at the coast. If so, I doubt you need to raise your CYA level. You get lots of fog, clouds, etc.
Do add muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.4-7.6. It will rise quickly with your TA level that high. TA will come down over time.
CH is very low for a plaster pool. You need to get your CH to 250-300 ppm soon. You add calcium chloride to achieve that.
Add chlorine every day during swim season. Test your FC and add enough to be in or above the Target range for your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: PoolFunnSun
Great job on the test results. Use a 10 ml water sample for the FC test. One heaping scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
How does the water look?
Your CYA should be recorded as 40. Always round up to the next highest full value.
Your location appears to be in the Bay Area at the coast. If so, I doubt you need to raise your CYA level. You get lots of fog, clouds, etc.
Do add muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.4-7.6. It will rise quickly with your TA level that high. TA will come down over time.
CH is very low for a plaster pool. You need to get your CH to 250-300 ppm soon. You add calcium chloride to achieve that.
Add chlorine every day during swim season. Test your FC and add enough to be in or above the Target range for your CYA. See FC/CYA Levels

Water looks really good. Very clear. Weather is nice here. Quite warm lately without many clouds.

I'll adjust fc to match cya/fc ratio chart. I used the 25ml fc test. I'll use 10ml moving forward.

Per pool math calculator for 23k gallon pool i need to add 21.3lbs of calcium chloride. seems like a lot. Does this seem reasonable to you? I think I'll add it slowly. Maybe a third at a time to be safe.

That sounds like the right amount of calcium chloride.
Add in 3rds. 7# or so, let that circulate for a day, test, repeat. You might find your pool volume/test is not spot on.

Reactions: PoolFunnSun
Hello, I'd like to check back in and provide my new results once I've gotten the water balanced within normal ranges

FC 3.5(tested end of day, added three PPM chlorine after test)
CC 0.0
PH 7.6
TA 120-130
CH 250-260
CYA 40

I always struggle with the drop count at the end of the test. I'll normally add another drop after it changes color just to see if it changes more and sometimes I can't tell so I'll just say it's between two numbers. ie TA & CH above

I do have one question, how often do I need to test all chemicals? I think free chlorine will be daily for sure, but what about the other ones. It seems daily may not be necessary and maybe once a week or once every two weeks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.