Argh the dreaded pool maintenance guy

Well I am familiar with the TFP method. In 2015 I had a pool built and did all the TBF maintenance myself. Unfortunately a divorce had me sell the house, but two months ago I bought a another house with a 12KG Pebbletec pool (10-12 years old). Because I was moving in over a month and traveling for two weeks I decided to keep the pool guy on until July. I did all testing for a few weeks and everything was decent CYA 50, PH 7.6 FC was for the most part spot on. Well he did the last service Friday unknown to me (usually does on Sat) and I called sat morning to cancel. My FC was 13 CYA was 80 and PH was 8.0. I assume he added stabilizer on Friday or a ton of pucks while I was out of town for two weeks (its been over 100 here in Sacramento). Question how much do I need to drain to get it down to a CYA of 50? Does evaporation come into play? Lastly I have an older control panel but it is connected to an unused salt cell, do you think its worth it to convert to salt?

Draining half your water would take your CYA down to 40, so probably a shade under 40% would put you right at CYA 50. Evaporation doesn't come in to play. You only lose water during evaporation. CYA stays in the pool. The only other thing that will make you lose CYA is a splashout.

I'll defer to others on the salt question.

What type of control panel?
What type of unused salt cell? You know if it works?
What is it worth to you to not fool with bleach on a regular basis?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.