Are there alternatives to a heat pump (but that would still use my existing 220 line?)

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
And...another question....just who is allowed to recharge the refrigerant on these things? I seem to recall the pool company telling me that they can't do it anymore and also hearing the same thing from my local HVAC service people. If such is the case....what am I supposed to do? I think it really needs it. Ran all day and only brought the temp up 5 degrees. I prefer not to go to propane or natural gas, but would like to be able to heat the water more efficiently. The pool store that installed mine just said that heat pumps don't work real well in our area (?) If such is the case...thanks for letting me know back when I purchased it from them 😠

Your profile does not say what model HP you have.

Working with refrigerants requires an EPA certificate and possibly state licensing.

Yes, a licensed HVAC person can work on a HP. You have to find someone willing to work on it.

Complain to Jandy that their dealer refuses to service their product.

Heat pumps are a weird item. Many trades people won’t touch them. The plumber points his finger to the electrician who points at the HVAC tech who points at the plumber. I have a couple friends that had a real hard time finding anyone to work on theirs. I would guess your best bet would be an HVAC person. If you strike out, maybe see if a mechanic would make a house call. It shouldn’t be any different than recharging the AC on your car.

If you strike out, maybe see if a mechanic would make a house call. It shouldn’t be any different than recharging the AC on your car.

There are different EPA certificates for stationary cooling systems then for mobile cooling systems..

Your government at work.

There are different EPA certificates for stationary cooling systems then for mobile cooling systems..

Your government at work.
Ha. I am equally surprised and not surprised. Thanks for the learn of the day !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heat Pumps are not common in the cold climates and because of that many people fear them in those areas. I had a ground source heat pump ("geothermal system") in Iowa and it was absolutely great. A/C was almost free and heat was still cheaper than propane. But we had to call around a LOT to find HVAC companies willing to touch it.

So look for companies advertising "geothermal" systems and you might have more luck. Air source pumps for heating a house aren't good in cold climates.. I'd say north of about the latitude of Indianapolis in most of the country. But south of that they work okay.. and like here in Tucson they are common for smaller houses.

For a pool heater though, since it's used in the summer for additional heating, it will work fine in your climate. So don't believe otherwise. It in theory is more efficient than gas but has less capacity.

If the unit is old and R-22, it might be difficult to service. The replacement coolants then to need other pieces of the system swapped out, because the replacement gasses aren't identical for pressure needed. And the stuff is $$$$$$$. It's often not worth it. If it's newer then you shouldn't have a big issue finding a leak, getting it fixed and then refilling with more modern coolant.

However, even R-134 and newer coolants are getting banned in a few years. So my advice is to fix it sooner than later, honestly. My personal thought on the coolant stuff is that is a great way for planned obsolescence and that is why you never see the manufacturers fight back on every more difficult regulation. Many cooling units use flammable coolant now too which is disturbing to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.