Are the wild cherries dropping from my black cherry tree balancing my pool's pH?

tbrooms

May 28, 2021
Columbia, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I know this probably sounds bonkity bonkers, but in my new above-ground, 6092-gal soft-sided vinyl saltwater pool, I had a pH of 7.9 a few weeks ago, and it's gradually been dropping and now is at 7.5. I haven't added muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate, although I have both waiting in the wings. What *has* been added to the pool is a regular deluge of wild cherries (the little ones, about 1/3 of an inch in diameter) from the black cherry tree that stands above my swimming pool. The tree drops at least a quart of berries a day, and after Tropical Storm Elsa swung through last week, it probably dropped a gallon of cherries. I vacuum and use my skimmer pole multiple times a week to clear the cherries within a day or two of them dropping into the water.

The only other chemicals in the water are cyanuric acid (current spectrometer reading as of yesterday at the pool store is 70), baking soda (TA is 84), and there are a small amount (~15 ppm) of borates from a small addition of Borax when I opened the pool for the first time in late May 2021. Salt is at a healthy 3300.

I am a total pool newbie, I am not a chemist, and I am only just barely understanding water chemistry and soil pH to be a decent gardener and pool owner. However, I can't help but think that the acidity of the wild cherry is dropping my pH. Is this nature's gift, or is my imagination going a little too wild?

Did you add your stabilizer/CYA after you measured pH of 7.9? CYA is a mild acid and will lower pH when you add it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.