Are SWG's really worth the hype? your experience beforevsafter, recommend type

copy that. thank you for the clarification. I looked up the Circupool BBB rating. A+. Right now there is a sale at https://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-30-Salt-Chlorine-Generator_p_188.html for an RJ-30 system to then upgrade to the RJ-45 for $10. total price $809 for the RJ-45. so this looks looks like the go to. I'll expect to hook it up to my existing pool timer, so that it is running in co-existence with the Vgreen VS 165 motor. (i've read to offset the timer a bit to prevent timer differences. pool pump has its own timer).

So i guess its safe to assume that when it comes to winter months, with the set up i just mentioned, when its below XX degrees, the SWG will not produce chlorine, but its ok that it is on since the pool pump will also be running to keep circulation going. ?

So i guess its safe to assume that when it comes to winter months, with the set up i just mentioned, when its below XX degrees, the SWG will not produce chlorine, but its ok that it is on since the pool pump will also be running to keep circulation going. ?

That is correct. As your area I assume will cause your pool water to be below the required temperature for some time
you might consider turning off your timer during that time.

Just be sure to add liquid chlorine during the times the SWCG is off to maintain your [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Take care.

copy that. So. now that I purchased a house with a pool this past may, learned a million things about taking care of a pool with no SWG, now to convert to a SWG'er pool. SMH let the learning curves continue to be drastic. Its all for the happy wife = happy life. ha! its all worth it though. I look forward to learning more from you and TFP community on this journey.

- - - Updated - - -

F,

The "F" rating is for Compupool, which I believe is out of business...

Were you intending to look up CircuPool/Discount Salt Pools??? I believe they have a BBB rating of A+..

If cells only lasted one or two years, then they would not be worth the cost...

Jim R.

concur. compu pool is a bust in my opinion and with an F from BBB, i'll stay away....

I can't ever imagine having a pool without automated chlorine delivery. I want to enjoy my pool, not babysit it. The SWG is the simplest way to automate delivery that I've found.

On cost, for my math, it's a no-brainer. I am using the Circupool SJ55. I purchased it during one of their common 'upgrade for $1' sales, so paid $750 for it. It can generate 2.3 lbs of chlorine generation per day and has a 10000 hour estimated cell life, so I'm paying ~$0.76 a pound for chlorine. (Yeah - I know there's an energy cost, but there's a gas and time cost to drive back and forth to the store to buy liquid chlorine as well, so I'm assuming that nets out.)

If I'm using 10% liquid chlorine and paying $3.00 a gallon for it, my $/pound of pure chlorine is ~$3.75. So, chlorine from the SWG is about 80% cheaper, it's pretty much set and forget, It's easy to install and easy to maintain. I can't see a reason to do anything else.

I can't ever imagine having a pool without automated chlorine delivery. I want to enjoy my pool, not babysit it. The SWG is the simplest way to automate delivery that I've found.

On cost, for my math, it's a no-brainer. I am using the Circupool SJ55. I purchased it during one of their common 'upgrade for $1' sales, so paid $750 for it. It can generate 2.3 lbs of chlorine generation per day and has a 10000 hour estimated cell life, so I'm paying ~$0.76 a pound for chlorine. (Yeah - I know there's an energy cost, but there's a gas and time cost to drive back and forth to the store to buy liquid chlorine as well, so I'm assuming that nets out.)

If I'm using 10% liquid chlorine and paying $3.00 a gallon for it, my $/pound of pure chlorine is ~$3.75. So, chlorine from the SWG is about 80% cheaper, it's pretty much set and forget, It's easy to install and easy to maintain. I can't see a reason to do anything else.

thank you.....appreciate the # crunching.

I added one during our pool remodel over 10 years ago. I'm not sure I would do it again. The cells are costly to replace and don't reduce the need for close monitoring of your pool. Sure I don't have to add liquid chlorine, but I have to frequently add muriatic acid to offset the rising pH seen with SWG.

In the end, I still check my pool chemistry frequently. I still have to add a chemical to my pool often. Plus I have the added expense of the initial SWG cost along with the cost of cell replacement. Plus, here in Florida with our frequent summer storms, I often have to add salt to maintain proper salinity. Plus, I need to run my VS pump a bit higher than I could to maintain flow and make chlorine.
/\ ditto...:goodpost:
My T-15 cell is on its 3rd year and it only works at full functionality when the water temp is above 63 F. My T-15 cell output is scaled 20% below 63F and shuts down below 50F. In my case, that is only 6 months a year when the water temp go over 63F. The AQR "Chlorinating" indicator light stays on even though the cell is not generating. Indeed, very misleading! The voltage, current and salinity readout under the diagnostic will say so.

Neeways, I have nothing against SWCG. But remember, you are paying the cost of bleach up front. So do the math and ask yourself if this is for you. Good luck...

Usually you hear that the swg is for convenience so you don't have to haul chlorine and that the cost is about the same as pouring chlorine. Living in Florida complicates matter. Frequent torrential rain in the summer easily throws off the chemistry if you don't have the time or the discipline to check/and restock pool chlorine/shock/set swg to boost, you loose control of your pool.

Having said that whether SWG is worth the hype depends on the individual. If you are discipline and maintain pool chemistry its worth it. If you don't, then you might be replacing the cells early (adding to the cost of SWG owner ship). Another question is what type of person are you: Handy or do you contract out? All SWG have its quirks. SWG system is yet another sub system to maintain/fail. Not everyone has the desire or know how to deal with it. Hiring the work out will add to SWG ownership cost.

I added one during our pool remodel over 10 years ago. I'm not sure I would do it again. The cells are costly to replace and don't reduce the need for close monitoring of your pool. Sure I don't have to add liquid chlorine, but I have to frequently add muriatic acid to offset the rising pH seen with SWG.

In the end, I still check my pool chemistry frequently. I still have to add a chemical to my pool often. Plus I have the added expense of the initial SWG cost along with the cost of cell replacement. Plus, here in Florida with our frequent summer storms, I often have to add salt to maintain proper salinity. Plus, I need to run my VS pump a bit higher than I could to maintain flow and make chlorine.

I've had a Pentair IC40 for 2 full seasons. It has been easy and uneventful. My pool is ~30k gal and exposed to Texas sun the vast majority of the day. During peak summer heat I run the SWG 8 hrs/day and have no problem maintaining proper FC. After a large pool party (10-20 people (including kids)) I'll use a jug of 10% LC for a little extra insurance. Highly recommend the SWG route for convenience... it has been more expensive after factoring in the system, salt, extra acid etc. etc. But if your time is valuable, get one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll be getting the SWG from circupool "RJ-45" later this week. I was checking the install manual and it gave some recommendations which bring me back to here to ask about. In this forum, I've been given the idea to wire my VS motor direct to power source (since it has its own timer), and use my pool timer to power the SWG in tandom. cool, got it.

I'm reading the directions **page 8 of the following link: http://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-Series-Chlorine-Generator-Manual.pdf

and it says I can also wire the SWG with my motor (same timer source). Thus allowing the SWG to be on in sync with my motor. *not a bad idea*. It then talks about if I have a VS Motor, to then I could connect the SWG direct to a constant power source.

So, my question is what are the pros and cons of this setup up vs the original recommendation. I thought I would ask in cases there is something I didn't think of being newer to this realm.

* for me and my location, I would keep the pump running in the cooler weather through the winter, especially now that I have a VS motor. I could always unplug the unit during the winter, so trying to keep it simple, I could connect the SWG to the same terminals as the motor, leaving the switch to the "on". ***no timer on/off being utilized, just letting it spin in the ON position". This would allow my pump to still have power for its own timer and the SWG would have a constant power source as described in the manual. Per the manual, the Flow switch would prevent the unit from working when there is not enough flow (ie: low flow or pump is off). Does that seam acceptable? or stick with the original suggestion as posted on the forum.

f,

The basic problem is that SWCG failures, that cause an explosion, are very rare.. But, they can and do happen.. So, is it possible to just operate on one safety device, the Flow switch.. Sure it is, and that is exactly what a lot of people do...

But.. my analogy is that it is like driving your car with the air bags disconnected.. Will your car still run, yes it will... Will your car explode every time you drive it, of course not. But even if you have a perfect driving record, at some point you just might need those airbags...

I vote for using a timer for the SWCG...

CircuPool SWCGs do not contain any kind of magical device that prevents an explosion... otherwise why would they still recommend it when using a single speed pump... For VS pump operation they have just taken the easy way out, because it would take three pages of additional notes for them to explain how to install a timer... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

copy that. thank you for the clarification. I looked up the Circupool BBB rating. A+. Right now there is a sale at https://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-30-Salt-Chlorine-Generator_p_188.html for an RJ-30 system to then upgrade to the RJ-45 for $10. total price $809 for the RJ-45. so this looks looks like the go to. I'll expect to hook it up to my existing pool timer, so that it is running in co-existence with the Vgreen VS 165 motor. (i've read to offset the timer a bit to prevent timer differences. pool pump has its own timer).

I just got my Circupool RJ-45 from them as part of the sale last week. They have pretty quick shipping and everything arrived intact. Also, while it wasn't completely clear in the online manual, it comes with the 2" to 1.5" reducers that you need to install in a 1.5" system. I'll be installing it this weekend once I build a wall to mount the controller and timer on, so I can't speak to how well it runs yet. Supposed to be rainy all week where I'm at, so I get to stare at the box until the weekend, lol.

Follow up and question with a problem:

2310C73E-31DC-4CCA-9B8F-F3A1DC17A6E9.jpgI converted my pool to a salt pool, replaced my single speed motor with a VS green motor, and added the SWG RJ-45 as previously mentioned. Using the poolmath calculator everything is going great!

1 problem I’m running into : the SWG is on my old analog pool timer. Everyday it clicks on and off like it’s supposed to, however, I noticed lately when the timer applies power to the SWG it turns on but only the POWER light turns on. The generate and other lights do not turn on. So I waited a bit and turned power off. Waited. Then turned the switch back to on. Same thing happened. I was like what the heck! I had a randomn idea to unplug the cell from the unit and reignite in. The unit then started generating. Go figure!!

Do any of you think when the timer cuts power suddenly to the unit “while in generating” mode is messing with it? I think so. Would you agree I may need to switch/add to a digital control system? Or is this a warranty issue since it is not turning back on correctly when power is applied?

I am assuming the pump is on the same timer and running when the SWCG is powered on?

Most SWCG's go through a diagnostic protocol when turned on. May take a few minutes. Does the SWCG eventually work if you leave it alone?

Flak,

Does not sound right.. I would call CircuPool and see what they say and please report it here.

I agree with Marty that it might take a few minutes for it to fire up, but I would think that it should be five minutes or less...

When I look at the manual, it shows the unit being on the same circuit breaker as the pump.

Are you running 220 to the RJ or 120 volts? If 220 are you switching both side of the power line??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mine is wired into an Intermatic T101R which is just a simple SPST switch attached to a mechanical timer. When the timer says to turn it off, it loses power instantly. When it is turned back on, it runs a little check to make sure the cell is connected and the right model, and then jumps into generating mode. Time from power being applied to generating, maybe 15 seconds.

If unplugging the cell cable made a difference, I'd inspect that cable and make sure the plug and everything looks good and is securely attached. I assume the breaker your timer is on is a high enough amperage to run both your pump and cell simultaneously?

Also, not sure it would change where or not it works, but your cell is attached upside down. The side the cable goes into should but upwards.

Thanks for the insight all. For the wiring config, I have the motor running on the constant power which feeds the timer power. (line 1 and 3 I believe) *so both the pump and the timer are always receiving power. The timer which turns power on/off on line 2 and 4. That is what I have the SWG on. The SWG is installed upside down because the SWG manual says to do so if you have a VS pump. I think it has to do with bubbles not getting caught in the "hump" if it was installed normally when at slow VS. The line is connected well. Running 220 @ lightmaster: 1) what you described is how mine was performing with no issues. This not wanting to generate just started. So I think I will call the manufacturer tech support and see what they say next week.

Talked with Support. Very helpful. I learned that depending on the model of the Cell, it will generate X amount of pounds of Chlorine in a 24hr period. The percentage signs we see on the digital screen (ie: what we make it go from 0% to 100%) is actually how much of the daily value of the pounds of chlorine it will generate. example: lets say my cell produces 2lbs of chlorine in a 24hr period. the % I run the cell is converted into minutes by the computer. So if 100% = 2lbs of chlorine to generate in a 24hr period AND the cell only took 200 minutes to generate the 2 lbs, then running it at 50% would be estimated at 100 minutes of run time to get 1lb of chlorine in a 24hr period.

What i'm seeing when I get home from work is that the Power light is on, but no other lights are on. That means the unit is in sleep mode. It has generated what it was supposed to for that % in a 24hr period.

Here's what I've figured so far, what I need to do is figure what my daily loss of chlorine is (taking a measurement in the a.m. and taking one in the p.m. after the sun goes down). I'll be able to see what my loss is from the sun. I can then figure out and play with my unit %'s to see what will stabilize it at the level i need compared to the cya and pool math calculator.

in the end, seeing it not "generating" means it is either in self cleaning mode or simply asleep since it has produced the % of daily chlorine it was asked to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.