Are roots in gunnite a problem?

RS220

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2019
Fresno, CA
We had two large palm trees removed about a month before construction began on the pool. The stumps were ground down to the level of the yard at the time they were removed. When the pool was dug, the remaining roots were sticking out from one of the trees. This entire time I assumed someone would be trimming them off, but today I realized all the steel framing is in, and these roots are still sticking out.

roots1.PNG

roots2.PNG

Is this a problem? It seems like this many little roots in such a cluster would really compromise the strength of the gunnite in this area, especially right at the top. Am I being paranoid or do those need to be trimmed?

You don’t want that. If the wood is embedded in the gunite it will decay and create voids and weaken the structure. Have someone with shears cut it all out and haul it away. Don't leave cut off pieces on the bottom either.

Thank you everyone, that was my thought as well, but I didn't want to be the person complaining if it wasn't an issue. I'm picky, sometimes the hubby thinks I'm too picky.

I spoke with my PB and he's going to have someone fix it. He agreed it probably would have been easier to do it before all the steel went in, but he said that wasn't my problem to worry about. Excellent point about not leaving it on the bottom either, I wouldn't though to check on that. Thank you! This is why you are all an invaluable resource for all the little details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.