Glen Burnie, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I’m finding it a bit tricky to set up our new RJ-45+, which I installed in June, six weeks after it was re-plastered. Since startup, I’ve been running the VSP for 20 hours a day at 1,350 rpm, which provides 23 gpm of flow and turns over our pool’s water 1.9 times a day. Running the VSP at this low speed our water is crystal clear and the CC readings have been at or nearly 0.

Our pool only receives 6 hours of direct sunlight a day and it takes time to build up the temperature in the spring as I do not have a heater. I use a solar cover anytime we’re not in the pool to conserve that heat and we don’t get into the pool every day.

After reading threads on this site, I’ve learned that newly plastered pools can take some time to obtain a stabilized pH and TA. I have been chasing a rising pH all summer and while it’s slowing down, I’ve still adding up to 20 oz. every other day to keep the pH around 7.6.

The RJ45+ is doing its job but I’m finding my FC levels are higher than TFP’s ideal levels even though the unit is turned down to 15%. Measurements taken this morning:

FC – 5
CC - < 0.5
pH – 8.2 (added acid to reduce to 7.6)
TA – 80
CH – 375
CYA – 70
Salt - 3200
Temp – 82

Normally the FC is tested at 3:30pm in the afternoon (when the pool is shaded) but I checked it this morning as I won’t be able to this afternoon. FC test in the afternoon runs around 7.0, +/- 0.5 ppm. A month ago, I turned CL production down to 10% for awhile but it dropped off to around 4 ppm so raised it back to 15%.

So my questions are, is what I’m experiencing with my FC level seem to be normal? Any issue with the FC in the 7.0 range? When can I expect the pH rise to slow down even more?

TIA,
Gary

You seem to be doing well across the board. You're keeping an eye on pH and FC which are your most challenging items throughout the season. All your numbers look good. I think your SWG settings are appropriate as well. An FC of anywhere in that 5-8 range will be just fine. Soon your water temps will crash which will really slow down FC requirements.

Thanks for the reply, Pat. I wanted a sanity check for the FC at 7.0 which is slightly higher than recommended.

Hoping someone can reply wrt the expected length of time for the pH rise to slow down.

Gary,

There is just no downside to having your FC a little too high... I try to maintain my FC at my target or higher.. I never try to stay between by Minimum and my target...

I have a SWCG because it makes pool care easy.. Trying to micro-manage your SWCG to stay between the min and target is just too much work for me.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had the same issue when I started my Circupool RJ 30+ on a pool just a little smaller than yours. Jim's advice helped a LOT! Not sure what your sun level is this time of year but I'm in S Florida and we get long, hot sunny days. Your target FC for 70 CYA is 5 ppm. I used Pool Math "effects of adding" to do the initial swg settings. Running it 20 hrs per day you're only adding 2.8 ppm FC per day at 20%. That's a little light this time of year but there's no such thing as a perfectly "normal" pool. Best we can say is FC consumption ranges from 2-4+ ppm per year. If it was me, I'd watch the FC cycle up and down rather than shoot for a point. You roughly want your low to be 5 ppm and your high to be that plus your FC consumption per day. I would watch the cycle and if you go below 5 crank it up to 25%. That's 3.4 ppm per day for your pool. At your CYA level I ran 5-8 ppm most of the time. I also found Pool Math predictions to be amazingly accurate.

I hope this helps!

Chris

I had the same issue when I started my Circupool RJ 30+ on a pool just a little smaller than yours. Jim's advice helped a LOT! Not sure what your sun level is this time of year but I'm in S Florida and we get long, hot sunny days.

Here in central MD the daytime temps are starting to fall. I'm still getting a solid 6 hours a day but as the sun angle changes, I suspect it's not as strong as it was in July.

Your target FC for 70 CYA is 5 ppm. I used Pool Math "effects of adding" to do the initial swg settings. Running it 20 hrs per day you're only adding 2.8 ppm FC per day at 20%. That's a little light this time of year but there's no such thing as a perfectly "normal" pool.
Except for yesterday's early morning test at 5ppm, I had been in the 7 +/- .5 range for weeks when testing in the late afternoon. Guess I'm a bit anal about it because I've been testing pH and FC ever day. I'll go every 2 or 3 days now.
Best we can say is FC consumption ranges from 2-4+ ppm per year. If it was me, I'd watch the FC cycle up and down rather than shoot for a point.
Agree. I'd just about figured out that consistently maintaining an exact value was not going to be possible. So a little wiggle up and down is normal then and if it ever got a bit high, like around 8, then no worries then.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Gary

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.