rfc793

Jul 11, 2021
Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, long time lurker here. Thanks for all the information over the years, but now I've run into my own problem.

I purchased a used AquaTrol system with cell last year. The system worked reasonably well, but it was obvious that the cell was aged, and even more so now. I'm looking to replace the cell. However, when shopping, I see claims that a cell might be compatible with AquaRite and no mention of AquaTrol. Furthermore, many of these claim that software revision 1.50 or greater is required (for smaller cells?). But again, that is for AquaRite and I don't know how those translate to AquaTrol. Finally, what is the difference between "T-" prefixed cells and "GLX-" prefixed ones?

Here is the GLX-CTL-TR-RJ controller, as we see it is running revision 1.45:
IMG_3235.jpg

And here is what appears to be the current T-CELL-5 (or equivalent):
IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3241.jpg

My pool water volume is approximately 14,000 gal. I thought the T-CELL-5 is only compatible with AquaRite, Aqua Plus, Aqua Logic; I never see AquaTrol listed. I think a T-CELL-15 should work and should have a longer life. I may need to check a jumper to make sure it is configured properly, but again I never see AquaTrol listed in descriptions. I'm fairly confident the non-5/15 cells (e.g: T-CELL-9) require newer firmware. But, what about the GLX-CELLs? I'm just looking for clarification before dumping a few hundred dollars. I wish Hayward would provide a controller/cell compatibility matrix.

Pardon my ignorance. Cheers!

Last edited:
The Aquatrol requires the T-5 cell.

The T-5 cell is smaller then we recommend for your 14,000 gallon pool.

@C0d3Sp4c3 said you can use the larger T-15 cell by placing a jumper at J4 on the pcb in this thread...

The GLX cell is the same as the T cell. Hayward changed their model numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: C0d3Sp4c3
Thanks for the advice so far, everyone.

@mknauss, indeed, the ABC's guide has been my chemistry bible for the last few years and came in handy again regarding CH upon converting.

Thanks @ajw22, GLX equivalent with T helps broaden my selection. If I recall, the thing to watch out for now is the limited warranty on 'W' suffixed parts.

I realize the AquaTrol is barely sufficient for my pool (the kit is rated at 18kgal if I recall correctly) But, I had a good opportunity to get a discounted unit, and as you all know, finding inexpensive pool equipment and supplies is very difficult right now. I don't mind manually boosting chlorine if it can't keep up after a refill or when needing super chlorination).

The big remaining question is whether I can safely upgrade to a T-15 for increased longevity and as future-proofing, should I get another controller with greater capacity. I got the whole system for $350 amidst a pandemic, I may just take my chances with a generic 5/15 cell for the time being. I'm holding off for now to see if anyone has empirical evidence regarding AquaTrol + T-15.

Thanks again! This site is the best.

Last edited:
Yes, the Aquatrol model can take the larger T-15 cell or any compatible generic T-15. You just need to solder a jumper wire across the J4 solder pads. I used a pin header as shown in the below pic. But to each their own!
You have sw r1.45 and should you decide to go with a T-15 cell, I'd suggest for you to get a spare Thermistor. The T-15 cell will definitely draw more amps than the T-5 and thus put more load on the thermistor. On a side note, the thermistor burning issue is no longer a concern for the RJ with sw r1.47TROL-RJ_1a.jpg

Reactions: JamesW
Thanks for the confirmation @C0d3Sp4c3. I'll be sure to grab a pair of the thermistors while I'm at it. I suppose I might as well replace the existing one while I have the board out on the bench to populate the J4 header. Now it is time to navigate the vast world of generic cells, I'm not so worried about the cell but would like to avoid collateral damage to the controller.

Yes, the Aquatrol model can take the larger T-15 cell or any compatible generic T-15. You just need to solder a jumper wire across the J4 solder pads. I used a pin header as shown in the below pic. But to each their own!
You have sw r1.45 and should you decide to go with a T-15 cell, I'd suggest for you to get a spare Thermistor. The T-15 cell will definitely draw more amps than the T-5 and thus put more load on the thermistor. On a side note, the thermistor burning issue is no longer a concern for the RJ with sw r1.47View attachment 354114

Very interesting. I have Aquatrol with 1.47 version. If I add header and jumper at J4 I can use T15 cell? Does it produce chlorine at the same level of the T5 but just allow use of T15? Or does it up the production to T15 levels? How long have you been running like this without issue?

Very interesting. I have Aquatrol with 1.47 version. If I add header and jumper at J4 I can use T15 cell?
Yes
Does it produce chlorine at the same level of the T5 but just allow use of T15?
No
Or does it up the production to T15 levels?
Yes
How long have you been running like this without issue?
I don't but friends and neighbors upped to T-15 for as long as I can remember. The Aquatrol is a standard Aquarite with built-in timer. And there are too many Aquarite threads in this forum to reference, exclude the Thermistor issue because it it not likely to happen on your r1.47

Reactions: Wtschutt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.