Aquastar On-ground Pool in Tulsa, OK

Flybriz

Bronze Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Tulsa, OK
When we moved into our house 8 years ago, there was a 24' round pool built into the backyard slope with a deck around it. After a liner replacement failed after 2 years (hundreds of pin holes around the bottom edge... we're thinking ants looking for water?) plus a bad move to saltwater that rusted the walls, the old girl had to go. Putting an inground of any sort was going to be too pricey due to the slope, and we didn't really want another round above ground. After a ton of research, we settled on an Aquastar on-ground pool. Jim, the owner, has been fantastic and we're confident that we're putting in a quality solution.

Demo of the old pool went smooth. Pulling up all of the old composite deck boards was a complete nightmare - we had to pry all the boards out and grind off the screws because they stripped so easily. Next steps were leveling the space where the above ground used to be and prepping for the Aquastar. We chose a 12 x 20 as it fit nicely into the existing space without having to cut away deck structure. Here are some photos of the progress - the walls are up, hopper is dug, and we'll smooth everything out and add more sand once the liner arrives. On the menu this weekend - adding more posts and 2x6 joists in the areas that are no longer occupied by the old AG pool.

old-pool.jpg
IMG_4862.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg

aerial1.jpg
aerial2.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg
IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg

Thanks to some awesome smart people here on the forums, I am setting up an Easy Touch 4 with salt, an Intelliflo pump, and using our existing StaRite heater. A few other bells and whistles are going in as well including 2 Globrites and a waterfall feature. This is my first time building a pool, installing automation, etc. so my wife, my dad, and I are going slow and learning as we go.

IMG_1172.jpg

I'll continue to update progress here, and am happy to answer any questions or offer advice I've learned so far. I am not a pool professional nor an engineer nor an electrician or plumber, but this forum has certainly been a huge help to me over the years and I'd be honored to return the favor if my experience helps anyone else out!

NICE! You sure had the round pool and area looking nice! I can't wait to see how you fix up your new one!

I bet there were some adult words used taking that old deck up :shock:

What will you be making the new deck out of?

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! Yeah, we refer to getting the old boards up as the "dark times"... We're putting in Trex decking in "Spiced Rum" with the hidden fastener clips instead of screwing through the boards. Very excited to see how it turns out!

Okay, I owe everyone some additional progress pictures, but for now I'll skip right to the end. After lots of weather delays and travel, we finally got the liner installed and the waterfall built. Everything is humming along great so far, and we just have a few more things to do - secure the ledger on the waterfall wall, plug a few screw holes in the deck, and build the outdoor kitchen. Hopefully everything will be wrapped up in a couple more weekends!

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A few more in-progress photos for your enjoyment...

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

Wow! That's really cool! What a great above ground/on ground option. I wish I had heard of it when we put our pool in. I had searched for on ground pools, but didn't see anything like that.

Very nice!

Thanks pigeon! It was tough to find online. We knew we didn't want another round pool if at all possible, and we simply didn't have the budget for an in-ground. It would have been $15k plus in dirt and concrete work due to the yard slope. After we received the Aquastar kit, I was a little miffed when I discovered those new shipping container pools since they are so cool and easy to install - but now that we're all finished I'm happy with the choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Kim! Overhead pics coming soon - as soon as we finish the kitchen island and power wash this grungy deck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DUDE! That overhead picture looks like a "design" picture it is so SHARP and the details are so fine! WOWER!

You do awesome work!

What is under the wood box on the right side of the kitchen?

You KNOW I want to see a night shot of that as well! Please???

Thank you SO much Kim! There's an ice chest under the box for drinking ice, and another inside the cabinet to hold drinks. We loved the idea of having a clean deck and we didn't want to drag a bunch of stuff out there every time we had a party, so the hidden ice chests were the result. Oh, and here's a night shot for you as well!

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

pool_night.jpg

Love it! Your outdoor kitchen idea is great. Really like the tile back splash. Good job! We are doing some deck work here shortly...you've given me some ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks pigeon! Good luck on the deck work - I know that's back-breaking stuff but I'm sure it will look fantastic. I'd love to see pictures of what you're working on.

And since I'm playing to an audience of two (you and Kat), here's a time-lapse I just cut from our build. It's 4 minutes of your life you'll never get back, but at least you get to listen to a Styx song! http://vimeo.com/222468585

I snuck in the back, since I wasn't on the invitation list. Fantastic video!! One of the best I've seen for telling the story. Great song, but if you do actually have too much time on your hands, you certainly know what to do with it.

Your pool and backyard are amazing - phenomenal considering you did it yourself! Honestly, you DIY-ers are crazy smart, skilled, and have more energy than most people. I'm in awe of all you guys who do these huge projects!!
Thanks for the video and sharing your build,
Suz

Thank you, Suz, and welcome to the party! I'm glad you liked the video. It's been a fun project, and many problems were averted thanks to the sage advice of others here on the forum. We're actually having build withdrawals now... can you believe it? We've been blessed with an oasis in the backyard, and my wife and I are calling my dad to come over this weekend to work on some new little project we came up with. Don't worry, we'll still float around with drinks in our hands.

LOVE IT! AND guess who is coming to our little town and giving a concert in October??? STYX!!!!! I will be at the box office on Friday getting out tickets!

That came out SO pretty! Oh just because they don't post does not mean no one else it watching/looking! LOTS of eyes have seen this thread!

:hug: Well done!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.