Aquarite salt system still says "Cold" and won't generate.

spthomas

Mar 24, 2014
Lewisville, TX
I have an Aquarite Chlorine Generator, 20 years old (R 1.32) with 11,000 gallon pool. The cell is two years old.
When I started up the system about a month ago, it was saying "Cold". I thought it was normal, since water temp was in the low 60s. And since then the water has hovered in the 60s to low 70s. But it's not generating (and the pool is growing!) I thought it was just at that temp where algae was growing but too cold to generate, so keep adding liquid chlorine. But it didn't appear to be generating at all.

So yesterday the unit said Cold, the ON light steady, Generating light flashing. The water temp checked with both a thermometer and the inline heater was 70-72. So I started testing.
With it on for a while, the settings were as follows:
(the green light it ON, but the Generating light is flashing.
Cold
68P
AL-0
r 1.32

If I turn it off for 5 minutes, then turn it back on, it shows Green ON, and Generating at first, and the first reading was 3000. THEN, after a minute or so, it suddenly clicked and the display went to "COLD", and the 2nd setting (temp?) oscilated between 68 and 72, then started dropping down to 52.

Finally, I turned it off and left it off all night. When I turned it on just now, it showed these figures for about 5 minutes before going back to cold:
68P
AL-0
r 1.32

Then it went bacl to "Cold" with Power light ON and Generating flashing green (no other lights). and reverted to these readings. The temp says 63 now, but the water is actually 72:
Cold
68P
AL-0
r 1.32

Steve Thomas

While you are attempting to get your SWG working, chlorinate with liquid chlorine.
If you have visible algae, you will need to SLAM Process.

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

I see your PoolMath logs are linked to your forum account, but there are no entries for the last 2 years. Use PoolMath to post your results.

Reactions: Mdragger88
1681843097743.png

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Thanks all. I have an old cell that quit generating but did not have thermistor issues. So I installed it and it reads the temperature correctly (72 degrees). I also checked both cells with an ohmmeter. The older cell reads 10.2k just laying there at room temp, which is about 76 degrees. The new, now defective cell wold at first read an odd reading for less than a second, then reads open. So it does appear the issue is in the cell, and it does try to generate for about 2 minutes before it starts reading "cold", so all this seems to point to the thermistor in the cell as you all suggested was probably the problem. I've contacted the store, since this cell is only 6 months old and has a 5 year warranty (I thought it was 2 years old but that was another cell I bought from Leslie's that only had a one year warranty!). I have started SLAMming the pool with liquid chlorine so I'll keep that going until I get a new cell.

Thanks again. You all are lifesavers with this pool!

Steve

Reactions: mknauss and JamesW
Thanks again. You all are lifesavers with this pool!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: JamesW
You could cut into the cord and wire in a 10K thermistor or and external temperature sensor.

This is a hack and I do not recommend doing this, but I am just saying that it could be done if you wanted to do it at your own risk.

Mount the temperature sensor near the cell.

The red and blue wires are used in the Hayward cell cord, but the colors might be different in a different cell, so verify before doing this.

1681848360439.png

1681848257159.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.