Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi TFP,

I was hoping someone could help me understand the Aquarite (Hayward) 900 SWG. It seems it has a built in instant salinity sensor that supposedly reads the salt water PPM? Does that mean I don't need a K-1776 Salt Test Kit? How accurate is it and how do I check the numbers on the display? For some reason when I hit 5 which is the salinity indicator I think it shows -4300. How is it possible after dropping 12 bags of Salt 44lbs each into a 90,000 liter pool I have negative 4300 ppm of salt? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you!

The SWCG does do a calculation based on conductivity to determine salinity. It is woefully inaccurate. Also, when a problem arises with the cell or control board, the first thing that goes off is the salinity. So you need a K1766 to get an actual salinity to trouble shoot the SWCG. If you just believe the SWCG, you can add way too much salt, and have to drain.

Understood thanks for the fast response. That is what I thought. What happens if salt is too much or too little what are the impacts on the SWG and water itself?

Too low, the SWCG will stop generating. Too high, even just a little high, with an Aquarite, can damage control board components. They are cheap and easy (if you can solder) to fix, but still, best to keep the salinity in the low end of the range. If way too high, the SWCG will stop generating.

Ahh, I was under the impression to keep the Salt in the high range to avoid having to refill the salt in a season.

As I remember, in the low 3000's is fine. It is when people let the salinity get to over the 3400 range the thermistor can be blown out on the control board.

Wow thank you! One last thing, is aquachek salt strip okay to use to determine salinity? K1776 is like $200 CAD due to monopoly here :(

Last edited:
Salt strip is as good as all strips, not so good. But I understand the cost issues you all have. Many Canadian members use forwarding companies to get test kits from the US.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you just get your SWG?.. if so get a true Salinity reading with your k1766, and write it down for future reference. The difference between the salinity measured by the SWG controller and the true reading will be the base difference. As the cell ages that difference will increase and you will have an initial reading to compare it with.

Interesting, so what is the purpose of understanding the delta between the two? Is there a specific delta until I need to replace?

Will do thank you for all your help.

I think the guy that installed it put over 4200 PPM of salt. Im so upset. And they call themselves authorized sellers.

Does the salt need to be replaced every so often because the SWG uses up the salt to transform into chlorine? And, if so, how often do you suggest testing the salt with the K-1766 kit?

Does the salt need to be replaced every so often because the SWG uses up the salt to transform into chlorine? And, if so, how often do you suggest testing the salt with the K-1766 kit?
No salt is used up. Your salt level may decrease from overflow due to rain and backwashing. Salt is added when you add muriatic acid and liquid chlorine.

Test the salt level when the SWCG indicates it is unhappy (low salt). The salt test will tell you if it is real, or an issue with the equipment.

Reactions: g3lo
Wow 4200!.. and cell is not complaining of high salt!.. actually the reason high salt is not good is that it causes the electronics to overheat.. at least with the Aquarite units.

The salt is not used up. The electrolysis breaks the salt into chlorine.. the sanitation converts it back to salt (simply speaking).. evaporation only remoes water. Only dilution from rain would remove the salt... the whole process is pretty cool!

The delta gives you a measure of the health of the cell. When it gets bigger its a sign of an issue with the cell.

Reactions: g3lo
What would happen if say SWCG indicates its unhappy (low salt), however, my K-1766 shows its proper level. Does that mean I need to recalibrate? Or, the salt cell is no good and needs either cleaning or replacing?

You should go through the troubleshooting as shown on the article linked above. If only off a little, then a bit more salt may solve the issue. But if the SWCG is reporting 1000 ppm less than real, there is a system problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.