Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Aquapure was working fine until a day or two ago (after a party). Filter pressure seems fine and salt levels are at about 3000. The pool and salt cell are about 2 years old. Could it be scaling on the salt cell? It doesn’t appear to be a flow issue. I believe all the indicators mean that it is working, just not producing chlorine. For reference, I usually only need to run the pool around 35-40% to get proper chlorine levels. The pool is max 4.5 feet deep and a hair under 10k gallons so the Aquapure 1400 is a little overkill, but I like not having to max out the salt cell. I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_9380.jpeg
    IMG_9380.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9381.jpeg
    IMG_9381.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 10
What is your CYA? And what FC are you typically aiming for? Any chance the party dropped your FC low enough and you have algae starting that the SWG just can't keep up with?. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.

This is strange but I would check the cell. Turn off unit, Undo the union connections and check the cell.
@PoolGate or @generessler may have other ideas.

+1 I believe this is producing chlorine. Do you see bubbles coming out of the returns? I have also put my test tube right in front of the returns with the SWG set at 100% to test if it is producing chlorine. I take a sample in the stream and put in the powder. Red indicates chlorine.

Reactions: HermanTX
+1 I believe this is producing chlorine. Do you see bubbles coming out of the returns? I have also put my test tube right in front of the returns with the SWG set at 100% to test if it is producing chlorine. I take a sample in the stream and put in the powder. Red indicates chlorine.
I will check the bubbles when I get home and grab a sample right from the jet.

My experience is limited to one system, but yours looks like it's producing fine. So another +1 added to those above.

When cell performance tapers off due to age or scaling, you'll generally see 120 and/or 121 error codes at first, then others as things get really bad.

So I vote for the theory that you have either very little CYA or an algae bloom in progress. If I were you, I'd first verify CYA is at least 50, better 60. Then add about 1/2 gallon of bleach (12.5%) and do an OCLT.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Checking for bubbles is a little wonky. If your pump _never_ passes air (which many VSPs do - a little - at low speed) and you see bubbles, then all is good. The SWG is working. But it's not guaranteed that you'll see them. Depends on many things like length of plumbing and pump speed. My SWG is working fine, yet I've never been able to see bubbles.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support