AquaPure 125 194 errors and Pool Contractor said Hayward bought Jandy

Oct 12, 2018
MELBOURNE BEACH, FL
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site but you all seem very knowledgeable. I have a six year old, 16,000 gallon, gunite pool, in Florida.
My six year old, AquaPure PLC1400 SWG is giving the 125 194 error codes and the pool has no chlorine. The SWG is
clean inside and I do maintain it regularly, so I'm guessing that it has probably reached the end of its lifetime and needs
replacing. My entire pool system (pump, filter, SWG, heater, and wireless remote control) is from Jandy.

The repair person from the company who built the pool and who also does repair services, is telling me that Hayward has
bought out Jandy and that they've discontinued the Jandy products, so they'd have to replace it with a Hayward SWG and
control panel. BUT, then he said that I'd lose the functionality of my Jandy remote. He also said I'd have a hard time finding
anyone who could find a new AquaPure PLC1400. I see plenty of them for sale on the internet.

Two questions:

1) Is it probably my SWG that needs replacing?
2) Did Jandy get bought by Hayward (or anyone else) and are their products being discontinued?

Thanks.

I would stay away from that pool service person.

To my knowledge Jandy is a subsidiary of Zodiac, not Hayward.

You can directly replace the PLC1400. No need for a service person.

As far as if the cell needs replacing, a TFP Expert will chime in that has more information on that procedure.

Jandy was not bought by Hayward. Jandy is owned by Zodiac. The products are not being discontinued.

What is the salinity as reported by the box?

What is the actual salinity as measured by a good test kit such as the K-1766 salt test kit?

What are the first 4 of the cell serial number?

Check the plug at the cell for corrosion.

Box says 3500, which is slightly above what it usually is, especially since we've had a lot of rain this week.
It's usually around 3200.
I'm getting a sample tested by my pool products vendor later today.
The salt cell serial starts if F13GF followed by 4 digits
Plug looks good

If the actual salinity is good, then I think that it's time for a new cell.

Get the PLC1400 kit that comes with the new trisensor.

Check the old cell plates by looking inside the cell with a flashlight to see if the ends of the plates are eroded. Look carefully because it's hard to see.

If the actual salinity is good, and you're going to replace the cell, remove the two small screws right by the 3 prongs of the cell. Then, pry up the little plate that the screws were in. This will let you check the base of the prongs where they go into the cell. Sometimes the prongs get corroded under the little plate. Only do this if you're going to replace the cell. You can reinstall the plate, but it's better not to remove it.

Note: The salinity seems suspect because it seems to have gone up when it was expected to go down from the rain.

Maybe the service person recalibrated the salinity at some point?

Once you're sure about the actual salinity, you can recalibrate the box if it's off.

so they'd have to replace it with a Hayward SWG and
control panel. BUT, then he said that I'd lose the functionality of my Jandy remote. He also said I'd have a hard time finding
anyone who could find a new AquaPure PLC1400. I see plenty of them for sale on the internet.

If you do change out to Hayward AquaRite and keep the Jandy Aqualink control panel, depending on version or Aqualink control panel it won't control the SWG. But this device will make that connection for you.
Chlorinator Translator

Actually, here's a question: Assuming the SWG was the problem, and replacing it fixes things,
will the error codes disappear, or do I have to do something on the system to reset the codes?
I know in my car, once the service light comes on the only way to make it go off is to bring it to
the dealer, even if you fix the problem. Just wondering if the pool system is the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, then I think that the cell is probably bad.

The new kit should have the cell, unions trisensor and power cord.

The new cell might have different threads because there are several versions.

Hopefully, the new cell will just fit right in, but it might require some replumbing.

Were you able to check the plates and the prongs by removing the little prong seal plate?

Well guys, I ordered a new Jandy Aquapure PLC 1400 through Amazon and I was able to replace my previous cell,
along with the new sensor and the power cable. The error 125 and 194 error messages disappeared from my pool control panel.
The panel detects flow, and it says that the cell is coming on. My previous cell was also a five year old PLC 1400.

I was away for a week, and when I returned, I took the water to be tested and it shows no chlorine. I guess it's possible
that the chlorine wasn't high enough when I did the replacement. As I understand, you have to start with a high enough
chlorine level to begin with. I had been adding liquid chlorine. I just shocked the pool today and I'm going to wait
another week to see if the level stabilizes.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Should I wait?

You probably need to SLAM. Then, the cell should be able to keep up.

What is the pump run time per day?

What percentage is the box set to?

Is the cell on light good or are there any error codes?

When the cell is generating, you should be able to see tiny hydrogen bubbles coming out of the returns.

Current pump run is 8 hours per day. When the SWG was working that was the normal run time for this time of year.
In the middle of summer, I would run it for 12 hours, but it's cooler outside now.

The SWG is set to 65%. Cell on light is good. Sensor shows 3400 ppm on the salt, which again has always been good.
No other error codes.
I've never ever noticed significant bubbles from the returns even from the day I had the pool installed, a number of years
ago. But I have an in-floor cleaning system, so the returns are at the bottom. I'll have a look again.

OK, everybody. I SLAMmed the pool last weekend, and the chlorine levels seem to be maintaining now.
Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm away for a good part of the week and I only get to check these things
over the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, then I think that the cell is probably bad.

Were you able to check the plates and the prongs by removing the little prong seal plate?

I haven't forgotten about checking the prongs. I just didn't want to do anything until I was sure that
the new generator was working properly. I'll have time over the next few days to check it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.