Aqualink improvements

newpoolj

Oct 15, 2020
Sacramento, Ca
Does anyone know if Jandy plans to improve aqualink, to expose more settings and status information than it currently does? At present, the aqualink app is only somewhat useful, and I have to go into the old school OneTouch webapp to view important status information, such as pump speed and watts. I'd love to know if they plan to improve this.

I think your best bet is to look at third party solutions, below is an open source project that has that info.

Reactions: WGpoolnewb
I think your best bet is to look at third party solutions, below is an open source project that has that info.

Thanks. I did come across that. The only downside is it appears to require a dedicated machine (ex: a rasberry pi) to interpret the RS485 commands coming from the Aqualink controller, as opposed to the actual Aqualink API which can be connected to and interpreted remotely via HomeAssistant or similar. It seems that Jandy just isn't progressing their Aqualink interface at all, and I'm curious if they plan to.

Several months back I talked to Jandy about scheduling issues - what they showed in the manual was not feasible. They said that was coming in future update. No timeframe. The issue is that they have no way to make a firmware update via internet. Any upgrades would require a purchase of a new PCB as a minimum. I don’t have much hope even though I use AquaLink. Too costly to move to Pentair at this stage.

Last edited:
Several months back I talked to Jandy about scheduling issues - what they showed in the manual was not feasible. They said that was coming in future update. No timeframe. The issue is that they have no way to make a firmware update via internet. Any upgrades would require a purchase of a new PCB as a minimum. I don’t have most hope even though I use AquaLink. Too costly to move to Pentair at this stage.
Ouch - that's really unfortunate. I was hoping they'd at least be able to support firmware updates some other way, but either way, they still need to update the product. I too wish I had Pentair, but oh well.

Thanks. I did come across that. The only downside is it appears to require a dedicated machine (ex: a rasberry pi) to interpret the RS485 commands coming from the Aqualink controller, as opposed to the actual Aqualink API which can be connected to and interpreted remotely via HomeAssistant or similar. It seems that Jandy just isn't progressing their Aqualink interface at all, and I'm curious if they plan to.
I've just set this up, and used one of my old rPi's (Model B rev 2) to do it. It works great. So much better than iAqualink. If you're a Home Assistant user, then you know the beauty of local access. aqualinkD will give you that. The hardest part was getting the WiFi adapter I bought working. Now I get pump speed, power consumption, SWCG status, etc.

One thing I've noticed, now that I have this installed, changing light programs through the iAqualink app doesn't work quite right. The delay time between on/off cycles varies a bit and sometimes beyond the window for a program change. I did test having aqualinkD manage this, and it works great. I just need to move my Home Assistant controls around to make it user friendly.

Reactions: newpoolj
I've just set this up, and used one of my old rPi's (Model B rev 2) to do it. It works great.
Great! Are you using aqualinkD with a VSP? From reading the notes in the project, this is its weakest point, due solely to the author's lack of access to boards and pumps for reverse engineering. It's a wonderful effort. Clearly a labor of love with man-years of effort expended - and almost entirely by one man.

I'd expect only minimal incremental "upgrades." Manuals for the various iterations of aquaLink going back to roughly 2010 show the same user interface, albeit with different terminal devices.

Just look at the iAquaLink so-called mobile app. It would be hard to find another industry-backed app driving an expensive product that's as bad as this. The app user experience can't be blamed on immutable firmware. It's been as it is since inception.

Last edited:
I've just set this up, and used one of my old rPi's (Model B rev 2) to do it. It works great. So much better than iAqualink. If you're a Home Assistant user, then you know the beauty of local access. aqualinkD will give you that. The hardest part was getting the WiFi adapter I bought working. Now I get pump speed, power consumption, SWCG status, etc.

One thing I've noticed, now that I have this installed, changing light programs through the iAqualink app doesn't work quite right. The delay time between on/off cycles varies a bit and sometimes beyond the window for a program change. I did test having aqualinkD manage this, and it works great. I just need to move my Home Assistant controls around to make it user friendly.
That's really good to know. I might give this a try afterall. Is there a particular RS485 cable you'd recommend? Also, do you think this is one of those things where you set it up once, and it should run for years, with no updates needed, since the interface won't really change? I'd also be interested to know if you're using a VSP and if there's any issues with that.

The problem with pool automation is the complete and total disconnect between the equipment makers and the consumers; the pool builders. There is simply not enough feedback because most builders don't care. They sell product.

If we can get some volunteers we can probably figure out Jandy VSP support. See this thread to help contribute to this effort.

At present only Pentair VSP is supported, if you have Jandy VSP (ePump) and are willing to do some testing, please post on forum as I'd like to get this supported as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you using aqualinkD with a VSP
I sure am! It works great. Right now I just have buttons set up in Home Assistant to fire a MQTT message to alter the speed, and I no longer have to open the iAqualink app, hope it's connected, click through screens, etc. Two taps and I'm there. Pump is a Jandy VSFHP165JEP.
Is there a particular RS485 cable you'd recommend? Also, do you think this is one of those things where you set it up once, and it should run for years, with no updates needed, since the interface won't really change?
I have the recommended FTDI cable in the aqualinkD wiki. I would think once it's up and running, there wouldn't be any need for updates. I say that because in the way I'm using it, it's just a gateway from Home Assistant to the RS panel. All my "advanced" control, monitoring and logic I can do in Home Assistant, and aqualinkD just acts as the translator. I'm still using the scheduler in the RS panel.

That said, I have it running on a Raspberry Pi, which runs off an SD card. I don't expect that to last forever. I have the file system in read-only, and a few notes on how to rebuild it. I suppose I should make a backup copy of the card one of these days.

I picked up one of the Orbit outdoor sprinkler controller boxes that has a GFCI built in, and mounted the Pi inside. Super quick and easy.

I sure am! It works great. Right now I just have buttons set up in Home Assistant to fire a MQTT message to alter the speed, and I no longer have to open the iAqualink app, hope it's connected, click through screens, etc. Two taps and I'm there. Pump is a Jandy VSFHP165JEP.

I have the recommended FTDI cable in the aqualinkD wiki. I would think once it's up and running, there wouldn't be any need for updates. I say that because in the way I'm using it, it's just a gateway from Home Assistant to the RS panel. All my "advanced" control, monitoring and logic I can do in Home Assistant, and aqualinkD just acts as the translator. I'm still using the scheduler in the RS panel.

That said, I have it running on a Raspberry Pi, which runs off an SD card. I don't expect that to last forever. I have the file system in read-only, and a few notes on how to rebuild it. I suppose I should make a backup copy of the card one of these days.

I picked up one of the Orbit outdoor sprinkler controller boxes that has a GFCI built in, and mounted the Pi inside. Super quick and easy.
Awesome! I'm going to try this before next season. Is there any reason you didn't just stick the Pi inside the Aqualink controller's box? When you change the pool pump speed, does it go through the priming delay?

Is there any reason you didn't just stick the Pi inside the Aqualink controller's box?
I could have done this, I suppose. I would have had to then sort the power to the Pi out (I could have done a hardwired power supply), and I have the WiFi antenna extended out to a higher gain antenna mounted on the side of the box. I'd post pics, but I don't have any with me. This also gives me some additional room to add things if I want (like interfacing or an ESP32 for pressure sensors).
When you change the pool pump speed, does it go through the priming delay?
Nope. It just changes, just like when it's done through the app. There's usually a slight delay, nothing annoying.

Snapped a couple of pics last night. So many enclosure colors...
IMG_5136.jpg
Behind the mounting plate is the USB WiFi adapter. I bought one with a removable antenna, and added a short jumper to a panel mount connector.
IMG_5137.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.