AquaBright Ecofinish--Alternative to Acid Washing

Thanks JFN!

You have helped me understand the chemistry of water softeners, and I understand that in a perfect world there is no salt; however, Brain's experience says there may be some residual salt. I'd guess that *may* be because of under-replenishment of the resin. I've also read that if you push your water softener to the edge, it uses much more salt. So I've set mine to replenish a bit early [set it to 24 when I should set it to 21], and I also have it replenish a night early if it gets within 10% of needing to be recycled. So... in theory this will also minimize or maybe eliminate the addition of salt. So far, if there is salt in the softened water, it has not been enough to register on my Taylor test.

Anyway, thanks for the chemistry lesson.

We just are finishing up with the tile today and then the concrete cap and then the blue lagoon aquabrite finish on the 45 year old gunite pool makeover

Are you installing any marker strips on steps or bench? I'm wondering if grout or Aquabright is used for them?

If installing marker tiles, it would be best to have them grouted with a color that will compliment the Aquabright finish. It really isn't possible to apply the AB in the small voids between tiles. You can see an example here:

IMG_20161128_141440641.jpg

OK, I thought I'd update.

So far so good. My pool seems to stay balanced so well that sometimes I'm only checking it once a week. FC hangs around 6, and pH around 7.6. I pretty much just clean out the robot/skimmer, and scrub where the robot cant get.

Yes, I'd say that. Also, during application the amount of roughness can be adjusted. Adding extra heat during the application makes it smoother, less heat makes it less smooth. I think the latter is not really necessary, but some might want the extra texture on stair steps. I would say it is not needed, but either way it is fine. It is a good balance between being too smooth and therefore slippery, and too rough and uncomfortable. It seems/looks like it might be slippery, but it is not. No one from 6-60 has had any traction issues.

Good to hear Jon!

Brian and I are shooting a pool today and tomorrow... We were just talking about the nightmare of a job your pool turned into!

Multiple-personality disorder?

Referring to yourself and your "other self" is a bit concerning....maybe too much polymer vapors inhaled recently :suspect:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I figured that was coming...

His name is Brian and we get a lot of weird looks at introductions with the same name. I tried making up a name just so it was different but later forgot to respond when called by my fake name. It is what it is but what I do know is that Brians' have more fun!

I figured that was coming...

His name is Brian and we get a lot of weird looks at introductions with the same name. I tried making up a name just so it was different but later forgot to respond when called by my fake name. It is what it is but what I do know is that Brians' have more fun!

Visual "disturbances" and hallucinations about made up people.....hmmmm....I'll need to consult my DSM-IV to make a further diagnosis..... :scratch:

Tell me something, this "other Brian", does he make you do "things" that you're not comfortable with? Does he hurt your feelings?

Good to hear Jon!

Brian and I are shooting a pool today and tomorrow... We were just talking about the nightmare of a job your pool turned into!

Yes, especially since we had expert "help". It was all worth it and it is 100% solid despite being a really old pool. I expect the only thing that will hurt it now is a severe enough earth quake that cracks the finite. ;-)

Also, I got some apprentice experience as a tile man :)

OK, so I thought I'd give an update. In summary, still loving the AB. It is as good as the day it was installed. Actually maybe a little better because it doesn't shed any silca at all anymore.

Water stays crystal, and almost maintenance free. Clean out the robot and skimmer hair net 1-2x/week. Check FC, pH once a week, full suite of tests once a month. If I have a lot of use, I add a bottle of bleach and get about a +4 vs mucking with the SWG setting.

I've forgotten I had a pool service. The automation, SWG, IPH, and Aquabright make for a ridiculously stable and predictable pool. I am VERY glad I went with the iPH vs the intellichem [Thanks TFP!!]. The IPH has been maintenance free, and it is nice to have the pH remain stable. I have it set to between 0 and 12%, [about 0.2XSWG setting] so it is maybe a little bit of a luxury, but it makes it so I can do nothing for 2 weeks and pH is stable at 7.6. With AB, the IPH is probably not necessary. Since I fixed my house water softener, and it turned out my autofill [thanks Brian] is run off the house feed, not the hose feed, my CH is stuck at 200 and not climbing. TA is very slowly dropping. I guess I'm slowly adding potassium, so maybe sometime I have to figure out if that is something to worry about.

My CSI has crept down to -0.4, but still in the recommended range, and negative [as I prefer]. When it gets cold this winter, I may have to do some adjustment; but for now, I think I could ignore my pool completely for a couple months and it would be somewhat over chlorinated, the robot would be stuffed to the gills, there would be leaves everywhere, and otherwise good.

In summary, this coating is da bomb.

Nothing wrong with potassium other than potassium chloride costs more than sodium chloride. Neither of those ions scale out at pool pH so it's somewhat irrelevant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.