Aquabot turbo classic - pump motor oil

ooo

Aug 12, 2019
NJ
Hey all,

The other day I threw my aquabot turbo classic (unsure of year, 2011-current is what is on their part breakdown) and I noticed it was bubbling up some oil. It didn't look like motor oil, more like a mineral oil. Anyway, I pulled the pump motor out and noticed theres a top plug missing and I cannot find any information around the part number or what type of oil to replace it with.

A bit of background here - I left the bot on the side of the pool during a heatwave (110+ deg temps for a few days) so I'm guessing that lead to the pump motor overheating and popping the bung. The pump itself spins fine, definitely not seized up. I should just need to replace the oil and plug and be good to go. If I'm looking at spending $200 for a new pump I'm just going to invest in a new bot.

Any help here or links would be greatly appreciated - I cannot find anything on google around this, just replacement pump parts.

Pump part #: A6005
Aquabot Turbo Classic ~2011

Attachments

• a6005.png
    a6005.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
(For anyone in the future who might be in a similar situation)

After reaching out to a few servicing places - it looks like once that plug is out the motor is done and needs to be replaced.

Motors like this that go under water are sometimes filled with a dielectric mineral oil that helps transfer heat from the motor to the water.

Many submersible pumps are also filled with oil.

The oil can be replaced but it's usually a life of motor product.

It has to be the correct oil. It has to be non-conductive.

The plug makes some sense because you might need to service the motor, but it should be more secure so that it doesn't just pop out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.