Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40... buy?

Apr 23, 2017
Las Vegas
Seriously considering getting an Aquabot Pool Rover s2 40...

Amazon.com : POOL ROVER S2 40, US, JET, 115VAC/48VDC, BLUE : Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

The price seems reasonable, and my pool is a simple rectangle shape (13x28). I know it wont do the stairs, but if it cleans up the rest of the pool, takes a load off the filter, etc... it seems like it will be worth it.

*note that I do not really have a problem with scum/algae, so the lack of scrubbing/wall climbing isn't a big deal. I just get a lot of debris settled at the bottom.

I also hear these things can help circulate the water which means better overall quality/less chemicals?

Thanks for any insight!

this is a pretty low budget device. I notice it doesn't have brushes to brush the pool with, so you'll still need to do that. You need to brush your walls to disrupt any invisible yet present algae and get it into circulation. Brushing your pool is one of those necessary tasks to maintain a healthy water quality.

I'd consider a refurbished Maytronics built robot instead- either from Maytronics themselves, or their robots sold thru Doheny or SunPlay online.

Check them out and then see if you can score one of the refurbished one....they have a warranty and come with excellent cred.

Yip :flower:

Hmm ok well I would consider spending a little more... can you recommend something maybe in the 500 or lower range?

I suppose I would also be willing to spend more if the filter box was easier to clean. If I could leave the thing in the pool 24/7 thats a plus too (i would think most of them can handle being left underwater?).

*I do have 3 stairs as well (fiberglass), but I imagine one that can climb stairs is gonna be more than 500..

IF I did go with the aquabot, how many times a week would I need to brush the walls manually?

My fiberglass pool has four steps out. The Doheney Discovery can climb and clean two of the steps but when it goes up that third step it is halfway out of the water so it sucks air and can't do it. Yet thankfully it also can do the walls since I have a small foot ledge around the entire pool.

Brushing is a once a week thing unless you have nothing better to do, lol

Shop around, that's all I can tell ya.

Yip :flower:

Hrmm Doheney Discovery looks to be around 800 bucks...

VS the aquabot - I like the scrubbing brush and the filter basket, but dunno if I can justify the extra 550 bucks...

Is there something in between I should consider?

- PS would love to hear from somebody who actually owns an aquabot s2 40. I mean if I knew the thing "worked", and the filter bags weren't TOO much of a pain, I don't think I would mind manually scrubbing the walls once a week...

Seriously considering getting an Aquabot Pool Rover s2 40...

Amazon.com : POOL ROVER S2 40, US, JET, 115VAC/48VDC, BLUE : Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

The price seems reasonable, and my pool is a simple rectangle shape (13x28). I know it wont do the stairs, but if it cleans up the rest of the pool, takes a load off the filter, etc... it seems like it will be worth it.

*note that I do not really have a problem with scum/algae, so the lack of scrubbing/wall climbing isn't a big deal. I just get a lot of debris settled at the bottom.

I also hear these things can help circulate the water which means better overall quality/less chemicals?

Thanks for any insight!

I purchased one. It is well worth the money. The circulation / less chemicals thing is wishful thinking. It is pretty good at picking up most things from the floor and sides. It won't get a twig or something substantial, nor will it get anything 'stuck' to the liner. For our needs, it works well.

The biggest down side is that the two bag have to be cleaned out after each use. We've got girls with long hair who swim in the pool and trying to get the long hair out of the bags is gross... but, still way better than cleaning the pool by hand.

Thanks for the info

I am super close to just ordering one... Don't think I will mind having to scrub the walls once a week while swimming... And I hear these bots only last about 3-4years max anyway, so I would feel a lot better about having to replace a $260 bot vs a $800 bot...

BTW they say it is only for 'above ground pools', but in the video, they clearly show it being used in inground pools... whats up with that?

*and do you think the aquabot would survive if left in the water all the time? I would think so... the water should protect the thing from the elements/sun right?

Thanks for the info

I am super close to just ordering one... Don't think I will mind having to scrub the walls once a week while swimming... And I hear these bots only last about 3-4years max anyway, so I would feel a lot better about having to replace a $260 bot vs a $800 bot...

BTW they say it is only for 'above ground pools', but in the video, they clearly show it being used in inground pools... whats up with that?

*and do you think the aquabot would survive if left in the water all the time? I would think so... the water should protect the thing from the elements/sun right?
Mine goes up the slope from the deepend just fine. I think I posted a video on the forum a year or two ago.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Well finally got my s2 40, and I am a little disappointed. It seems to cover the whole pool, but with no brush it is leaving fine dirt on the bottom (and tracks where the wheels smear the dirt). Maybe if the suction was more powerful... but it looks like it needs help to stir up the dirt.

I wonder if there is anyway to attach a brush to the unit just to stir up the dirt as it moves... anyone ever tried?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe if the suction was more powerful... but it looks like it needs help to stir up the dirt.
A generalized statement about robots is that you pay for "cleaning power". If you owned a tiny pool, that robot may do just fine but it is not robust enough to clean a pool your size adequately

I struggled for a couple of seasons with an underpowered robot before I finally bit the bullet and purchased enough "cleaning power" to take care of my pool.

Purchased on amazon, so I assume I can return, but not sure.

I don't think its a problem with the size of the pool, even on the shallow end, in a simple flat area, it just rolls right over dirt (and leaves tire smear marks). It's like it NEEDS a brush to agitate the dirt or it wont pick it up (it does seem to pick up small debris/leaves, so the thing WORKS, just not very well on dirt/sand).

I wasn't expecting miracles for 260 bucks, but you would expect it to be strong enough to pick up light sand...

*has anyone else with this model noticed a similar problem? And I wonder if before trying to return it I should try and macgyver a simple brush onto the bottom of the thing (I really think that might do the trick)...

I have a different model, "Pool Rover Plus C", bought in 2008. It still is working, so I'm really happy with its durability :)

It "sucks" fine, pulls most dirt up into it. My complaints are it misses spots, especially on shallow end. I end up brushing those spots.
Also it goes too fast, especially when I first put it in, and the bag is clean. By going too fast, it misses some of the dirt. After the bag gets dirty, it slows down and works better.

Before that, I had the more traditional aquabot type cleaner.

I think the aquabot did a better job, but it broke after a few year, while my rover is still running after 9.
BTW, I paid $400 for my rover, way back when.

When this one does break, I'm not sure if I'll stick with a rover, or go back to a more traditional bot style cleaner.
Bot cleans better, but rover is simpler and more reliable, based on my experience.
BTW, I think this is because of the design of both. Rover design is pretty simple, so it lasts. But the simple design makes for not as good cleaning. Pick your poison lol.

Randy

Could you return it if you are not happy?

I just purchased a refurbished Dolphin E10 from poolpartz.com this morning. Will get it in the next day or 2, but it might be worth looking into.
Refurbished

Fascinating! after more research I too am going for the Dolphin E10 and from the same place!
good choice!

The E10 has a center and bigger suction port so I know it won't miss the mini pinecones
the pool rover might.

and tfpusername, consider buying whatever you end up with from proper distributor...lots of complaints
about warranty not being honored if bought on amazon which seems ridiculous, but it is, what it is.

Sounds like you should try the E10. (it's the least cost robot with a brush.)

Purchased on amazon, so I assume I can return, but not sure.

I don't think its a problem with the size of the pool, even on the shallow end, in a simple flat area, it just rolls right over dirt (and leaves tire smear marks). It's like it NEEDS a brush to agitate the dirt or it wont pick it up (it does seem to pick up small debris/leaves, so the thing WORKS, just not very well on dirt/sand).

I wasn't expecting miracles for 260 bucks, but you would expect it to be strong enough to pick up light sand...

*has anyone else with this model noticed a similar problem? And I wonder if before trying to return it I should try and macgyver a simple brush onto the bottom of the thing (I really think that might do the trick)...

That is strange. We have a vinyl liner... don't know if that makes a difference. It won't scrub for sure, but picking up hair, sand, small leaves, things like that are no problem for ours. Anything more than a very, very small twig it won't get... or the pennies from the deep end that the kids tend to 'forget'.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.