Aqua Ultraviolet

bremeau

Oct 18, 2019
California
I have Aqua Ultraviolet Classic Series General Purpose UV Sterilize

I realize this weekend that the lamp had burned out, now these are very expensive:

- Are they worth it?
- Are you guys using other brands?

I have Aqua Ultraviolet Classic Series General Purpose UV Sterilize

I realize this weekend that the lamp had burned out, now these are very expensive:

- Are they worth it?
- Are you guys using other brands?

Are we talking about an outdoor or indoor pool?

No & No for an outdoor pool.

Yep, here is my system:

I measure PH & all every weekend and manually add acid, chlorine, and stabilizer as needed.

Chlorine in what form? Once a week?

What test kit do you use?

After all my filters have run on Friday night, I just to go to my local Leslie's Pool store on Saturday with a bottle of my pool water that I take from 1 foot under, they do all the analysis and recommend the chemicals and quantities. I buy the acid and chlorine in liquid by the gallon.

I'll just toss out that since I live in Georgia, we get all the UV we need from the sun free of charge!

Is your pool new Bremeau? Are you interested in taking charge of your pool yourself, rather than feeding the pool store your cash? Let us know if you're interested in that because we can definitely help you there!

Maddie :flower:

Then I will probably not replace that lamp, as this forum seems to have no one using an Ultraviolet to sterilize water and no one seem to justify that it would reduce chlorine conception either.

I am in charge of the pool maintenance, I no longer use someone for it. As a matter of fact, I just cleaned all the big filters last weekend and I am now tuning / optimizing the VS pump speed and programming as I posted on SPA Water not recycle in the Pool?
As for the chemicals, it does not take much time on each weekend. The store where I buy chemicals does not charge for testing the water sample.

Good for you for taking charge of your pool. I would also suggest to take charge of your testing yourself, as there is a reason pool stores want you to bring them samples.... to sell you stuff. I have only been on here a few months, but there have been countless threads that start with this "Help, The pool store told me to..."

The main chemicals you will need here are liquid chlorine and sometimes Muratic Acid to keep your PH in check. Outside of that, most of the algecides, clarifiers, shock, blue this, magic that, etc are pushed by the pool stores to make money. While they may address a single problem, they many times cause more down the road.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"Taking charge of your pool" specifically means knowing what you are doing with your water chemistry and why you add what you add. That means testing your own water (free pool testing is just a loss leader to get someone in the door, being accurate isn't required to accomplish that) and only adding what your water requires.

The unfortunate truth is that pool stores do not provide reliable testing, reliable advice, or reliably good products. Common household items are packaged in nice looking containers and then marked up several hundred percent. Items are sold to fix a problem that then cause new problems for which an item can be sold. The advice typically comes straight from product manufacturers and given by salespersons who are trained in how to load up a sales receipt and not how to best care for a pool. It is just how the business works.

Most of us have experienced it ourselves and all of us have seen it play out time and time again. Pool stores don't have an unearned reputation around here. If you choose to delve in to the science behind TFPC and why we do things differently you will understand why.

So welcome to TFP. However you choose to care for your pool going forward I hope you find the site helpful.

Then I will probably not replace that lamp, as this forum seems to have no one using an Ultraviolet to sterilize water and no one seem to justify that it would reduce chlorine conception either.

I'm just going to toss this out for reference- that UV you had did *not* sterilize your water. It is meant to help indoor pools "burn off" some of their Combined Chloramines that the sun usually does but being indoors deprives them of this or high bather pools like public pools sometimes.
They really serve no purpose in outdoor pools residential pools.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.