Appropriate replacement of my 18 year old Jandy Stealth 1.5HP single speed pump

Siglumous

Sep 1, 2022
Alexandria, VA
Hi all. I'm thinking ahead to the eventual (soon?) replacement of my 18 year old Jandy Stealth 1.5HP single speed pump. I've read that there's a potential savings on electricity moving to a VSP. And given the age, I may just want to jump in and replace it sooner rather than waiting for it to fail at an inopportune time. So, I've started looking and wondering how I should size the replacement.

As noted in my signature, I have a 13,500 gallon lap pool, with a cover that is used often (open on nice days, closed every night). I've been running the pump 8 hours/day. I plan to move to a SWCG next season, so likely will be running the pump longer.

I have two scenarios:
1) I have an opportunity to pick up a one-year old Jandy 2.7HP VSP. I'm not sure how the sizing works. I'm assuming right now my pump operates at the single speed and 1.5HP? If I get the 2.7HP pump, and it cranks itself down does it go to 1.5HP...and lower? Would I ever need the "excess" HP and would it be stupid to get this if the excess capticity is never used?
2)Just get a new Jandy VSP with "the right" size. Since I'm moving from a single speed, what is the right sized VSP for my pool?

Thanks.

1) Even if you never run at full speed, having such a large pump has it's advantages. Lower RPM for a given flow rate means less noise. Larger impeller means less likely to get clogged. No real downside to going larger than you need.

2) see #1

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.