Anyone use sun shades or sails to shade pool?

May 16, 2017
South Bend
I am looking to cover my 33" above ground pool with a 20x20 sun shade. I was curious how well they work. And if anyone else has done it and maybe has a picture or two:).
61e5fcf2bb6eeb68f6c204dd14370ac3.jpg

As an alternative to a sail or shade, you might want to consider a cantilever umbrella.

Our pool is in the sun from early morning until about 7:30 pm. I wanted at least part of our pool to receive some shade, but my wife would prefer to have the entire pool in the sun.

Our compromise is a cantilever umbrella positioned near the pool. For most of the afternoon, it provides shade for about 20% of the pool. If I go in the pool, I just open up the umbrella. If I'm not in the pool, the umbrella is closed, and my wife gets her 100% sun.

Below is an early morning picture where the sun has not come up enough to cast the umbrella's shadow onto the pool.

IMG_20180604_095920685.jpg

In search box at upper right, type "shade sails" - without the quotes - several threads and pics there.

I've got a rectangular sail over the pool and it's amazing. It's positioned to provide shade over the swim lane by about noon, and then the shelf and patio as the evening progresses. It was a late addition to the build and I'm really glad I did it.

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 3.44.20 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-07-03 at 3.49.53 PM.jpg

Reactions: galowbraw
Hi, a late response, but here in Belize, Central America this is what I use. It's a 65% UV shade cloth, comes grometted on all sides, had my caretaker put up 1 1/2''metal posts in concrete, the string shade cloths using stainless steel tie-wire, easy to take down if need be!. Had to remove the one in the middle as the water was being kept too cold though the daily average temp is around 85-90. It does help with leaves as well when the winds kicks up!.
20180701_134045.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.