Anyone opening early?

Can I still run my heater on a 70 degree day even if the water is still really cold?

Your gas heater should perform wonderfully in the situation you are looking for. I don't remember, did anybody run your #s to see how many hours you needed to run to reach desired temps ? Its usually somewhere between 10 and 24 hours for gas heaters.

Even in a most expensive case scenerio, if it cost you $100 to have a warm pool on a cold day, taking 7 kids to the movies (if they were open) would cost at least that much. Might as well swim. And like you said, your sanity is priceless.

Reactions: KaiBee and PoolGate
I’m opening Thursday regardless! No chickening out this week like last week. The weekend was cold I’m glad I didn’t open. Next 14 days r all above 40 at night. Nice!

Yep I am as well. But I think we are going to bite the bullet and fire up the heater and start swimming. All this quarantine is preventing us from spending money anyway. I figure it'll add $300 to April's monthly gas bill. Everything after that is normal seasonal heating.

Reactions: Newdude
All this quarantine is preventing us from spending money anyway. I figure it'll add $300 to April's monthly gas bill.
Exactly. And that extra $300 will still be $1000+ less for the month depending on how many activities you are missing. They add up quickly.

Reactions: PoolGate
YAY!! That’s awesome! I’m a few hours away in Columbus. Haven’t “officially” opened yet but I left the cover off all winter and have been using a cheap temporary cartridge filter/pump for the past week or so just to circulate chemicals to keep the water clear until we hook up the sand filter/skimmer and open officially this upcoming weekend! I maintained scooping leaves and stuff all winter but definitely need to run the new Aquabot cleaner and do a good brushing lol! Your pool and water look amazing! Any luck finding bleach/TP/paper towels down there? It’s been a nightmare here lol. I hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy! ?
I found cases of 12.5% liquid chlorine (bleach) in the pool aisle at Menards. I bought six cases (24 one gallon jugs) so I think that will get us a ways into the swim season. Just need temps outside to warm up!!! I got TP before the craze hit the local Dollar General store and I got paper towels at Costco last week. Hoping the craze dies down by the time we run out! Hope you and your family stay safe and healthy also!

Your gas heater should perform wonderfully in the situation you are looking for. I don't remember, did anybody run your #s to see how many hours you needed to run to reach desired temps ? Its usually somewhere between 10 and 24 hours for gas heaters.

Even in a most expensive case scenerio, if it cost you $100 to have a warm pool on a cold day, taking 7 kids to the movies (if they were open) would cost at least that much. Might as well swim. And like you said, your sanity is priceless.
I absolutely agree 100%. Taking 7 kids anywhere will cost me that, at least!!! Not to mention 3 are 13+ which is adult prices! I have no problem letting them swim in a heated pool lol. I'm not sure how long it takes to heat up the pool, but we were swimming into October so I do know that it's less than 24 hours. We were always amazed at how different the temp was at the surface of the pool vs the bottom. Thank you for your thoughts! Now to call Marina pools and get a robot....

Reactions: Newdude
Opening today, here in St. Louis.

I was scheduled to open in about 3 weeks, hopefully missing most of the catkins and pollens. But... St. Louis has a stay-at-home order. The hospital where my wife and I are doctors is requiring us to stay within 50 miles of the hospital. My wife (a radiologist) is working from home. My daughter is finishing her senior year of high school on her laptop. So I called our pool company and said "Open it yesterday!"

Meh. It'll cost me a few hours of catkin-straining and a month of higher gas bills... but I'll take my pleasures where I can find 'em!

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Opening today, here in St. Louis.

I was scheduled to open in about 3 weeks, hopefully missing most of the catkins and pollens. But... St. Louis has a stay-at-home order. The hospital where my wife and I are doctors is requiring us to stay within 50 miles of the hospital. My wife (a radiologist) is working from home. My daughter is finishing her senior year of high school on her laptop. So I called our pool company and said "Open it yesterday!"

Meh. It'll cost me a few hours of catkin-straining and a month of higher gas bills... but I'll take my pleasures where I can find 'em!

Sending you all the respect and thanks during this time! <3

@PoolGate u still opening tomorrow? I’m all set for 11. They just need to get me up and running and I’ll balance.
mom sure I will have screen logic issues as usual tomorrow. Every single year it will not find my network for some reason. Suck a stupid basic little box that has issues every year.
I threw the robot in yesterday for a few hours.
I am filled to 1 inch below my tile. I figured I would finish in morning.

Opened in the Boston area late Wednesday to get a head start on cleaning it up while I have some extra free time. Water is 40 degrees and I don't have a pool heater so definitely won't be swimming anytime soon. Water is crystal clear and still had some residual chlorine left over from the late fall closing. Will take care of balancing tomorrow after a quick cleanup.

Insane how much rain we got this winter. Closed in early October and lowered the water level below the returns. Checked the pool in January and it was really close to the top of the liner. Pumped it back down about 6" below the skimmer and it is back up almost to the top of the liner pattern. At least will be able to vac a good amount of sediment to waste to bring the water back down to normal.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I removed the winter cover yesterday while it was nice and sunny. I connecting the filter, starting the pump, and balancing this weekend. It is still going to be pretty chilly over the next couple of weeks, so I won't be turning on the heat pump anytime soon.

@PoolGate u still opening tomorrow? I’m all set for 11. They just need to get me up and running and I’ll balance.
mom sure I will have screen logic issues as usual tomorrow. Every single year it will not find my network for some reason. Suck a stupid basic little box that has issues every year.
I threw the robot in yesterday for a few hours.
I am filled to 1 inch below my tile. I figured I would finish in morning.

Looks like today and tomorrow are going to be pretty nice. Rain in the forecast but seems like during the day it will be sunny and dry. My main goal is to get the cover off and dried so I can store it for the summer indoors. If I get that done I'll be happy. I do 100% of my opening myself so no rush for me. If I end up with the cover off I'll clean as best as I can and flip a coin whether to fire up the pump. I left my iAqualink running all winter (outdoor lighting is controlled by it) so that is not an issue. Good luck! Post pics!

I usually open at the end of April. But with the 2 kids being stuck home, and coming off a very mild winter, I'm seriously considering opening within the next few days. Not that we'll be swimming any sooner, but it'll be good to see the nice blue water instead of the winter cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
Looks like today and tomorrow are going to be pretty nice. Rain in the forecast but seems like during the day it will be sunny and dry. My main goal is to get the cover off and dried so I can store it for the summer indoors. If I get that done I'll be happy. I do 100% of my opening myself so no rush for me. If I end up with the cover off I'll clean as best as I can and flip a coin whether to fire up the pump. I left my iAqualink running all winter (outdoor lighting is controlled by it) so that is not an issue. Good luck! Post pics!

I’m keeping mine on anymore also. This morning I crossed my fingers and legs and fired up the easytouch and screen logic. I think forcthe first time ever it is working!

mill post pics. I’m working a bit this morning. My builder is coming at 11 and I’lldo it with him.

Trouble free baby. Trouble free. Lol

clear as usual in summer. I learned how to open a pool today. I was my builders assistant. Lol

I only screwed up once and it wasn’t pretty. I unscrewed the gizmo too much and the screw went down the pipe and the rubber thing got stuck in the skimmer pipe opening. 45 mins later trying to getcthe rubber part out of the skimmer pipe. Then I said what about the screw. I got a look. He said let’s hope. We closed down everything. Opened up that skimmer only threw the pump on high. “Ding”. Screw came right to the Valve!

Attachments

• DA62CDC2-9E1E-4A46-849C-F4B16CDDB112.jpeg
    DA62CDC2-9E1E-4A46-849C-F4B16CDDB112.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.