Anyone had the 'rona?

Its hard for virtual anything to beat the real deal.

Last spring when schools just had to stop unexpectedly, the virtual replacement was awful. My kids would be done with their daily assignments after an hour each day. It was new to everyone, so I do have to cut them some slack.

This fall my kids have been in person, except for my son the last 2 days. The virtual learning seems remarkedly improved, with him zooming into each of his classrooms at the set time, listening to the teacher, interacting with the class (as best you can), etc.

With that said, he said its not nearly as good as being in person and he is very eager to go back to in-class tomorrow.

Possibly. I was sick in February with symptoms that at the time I chalked up to my usual allergies turned upper respiratory infection process, but I did COMPLETELY lose my sense of taste for about a week (which is very uncommon for me- only happened one other time that I can remember and that was due to some really vicious virus that laid me out for 2 solid weeks). I never had any fever that I'm aware of, though, and the urgent care doc said my lungs were completely clear (it was all sinuses and a dry cough that took forever to go away). But I traveled for work a LOT in late January so I was on a dozen or more flights late January to early February. No telling what I was exposed to.

Update! We did the rapid test today - to be sure she’s not an “asymptomatic spreader” & it was negative. Our district rules are that she still must remain home from school until oct 16th regardless of test results though 😩
But at least she’s free to live her life (within reason) out side of school

Since you bring it up.. here is my open ended list of musings on the Virtual Home Classroom experience:

I reserve the right to add to this list as I see fit
M
It's definitely a challenge. My son is a teen and he is not engaged, so I don't know how the young kids are doing the zoom.
The teachers are getting mad cause a lot of kids don't show up on the zoom and less than half the kids are doing the homework.
We are supposed to call the school when they will be "absent". Frankly, I forget, so I am sure I will get a truancy letter one of these days. ((Hopefully without jail time :laughblue:
Yes, my son has fallen asleep in his zoom class. (I walked in on him and laughed....bad bad parent)
There are new "rules" like you can take as long as you want to hand in the homework, you can retake tests as many times as you want, etc etc.
Fun times. Fun times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Was it because they don’t trust the rapid test, or would they treat the non rapid test the same?
Glad she was negative.

Wow. Was it because they don’t trust the rapid test, or would they treat the non rapid test the same?
Glad she was negative.
They would treat the non rapid the same.
The whole volleyball team is under quarantine along with every other close contact in the girl’s classes. I think its the 1st instance at our school that I know of.

I've had a sore throat, dry cough, right chest and mild shortness of breath since Tuesday. Yesterday I noticed things didn't taste right -- peanut butter crackers tasted like cardboard, finger and tasted like fuzzy sweet water, no finger ale flavor at all. All I can taste are broad sweet, sour, hot, bitter flavors. Mild fever, chills, body aches.

Called my doctor yesterday, they're sending me to get the big Covid test today, not the rapid test. I should get the results by Monday. Meanwhile I'm self-isolating, living in my bedroom, everybody wearing masks, and spraying Microban in the bath I share with our son. Food is brought to me and left at the door.

I hope my test is negative. I have several comorbidities and getting Covid would not be good. DH has COPD as well as other comorbs, I hope for his sake I'm negative!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last December just before Christmas we took a week long vacation in Fort Lauderdale FL. We both got sick at the end of our trip. At the time we thought it was just really bad colds. Now I wonder if it could have been Covid that far back.

We haven’t been tested for antibodies. I’m don‘t think a result either way would change the precautions we are taking.

Its unlikely that it happened that early. My wife used to work at a hotel and got very sick in late January. Months later she was sure she had it. Got an antibody test and nope, never had it. (She was so disappointed, she figured it would have been a license to get back to normal).

We are very cautious. Wash hands frequently, sanitizer when sink not available. Wear KN95 masks when going out, and supplement that with a face shield if it a supermarket. Shop for food once every two weeks. Try to us Sams club a lot since you can check out on your phone (which even without Covid is great, because who likes lines).

Reactions: Saturn94
My kids are both doing zoom school. We've chalked this school year up as a loss for the most part. Kids don't care at all but I think they'd rather be at school.

Well, my test came back neg, but based on my symptoms my doctor is treating it like Covid. So I'm confined to my room, everyone is wearing a mask, and I'm just keepin' on keepin' on.

The worst part for me is the loss of taste and loss of appetite, as well as the fatigue. I feel okay in the morning, but by 3 or 4 in the pm I feel like :poop:. I don't want to eat, but I'm diabetic and I have to. And the cough is nothing to joke about -- I've already had a breathing treatment because I was coughing so much and my chest was tight.

And the breathing!! I get out of breath walking 15 feet to the bathroom!

All in all, Covid sucks.

Did the guy that went to Egypt ever get tested? At least for antibodies?

For the longest time in CA you could only get tested if you were showing symptoms. At least according to my Health insurance. Which is just backwards. I do a lot of onsite service work in my job.. it seemed odd that I couldn't get tested as a baseline. It is now generally available with a two day turn around. but most people don't know that.

I don't think he was ever tested. During the beginning (March - July) we were the same way in NJ. No test unless you were had symptoms. He had is cough in January and after a week was done with it. I myself would have never got a test either - its just that my doctor likes to order blood tests.

Vaccine update - I had the second injection (2 shots, 4 weeks apart) about 2 weeks ago. That night I developed an "almost" migraine. The headache leveled off, but lasted 5 days. Aspirin did help, but you have to keep taking it. Fatigue for a few days as well and some body/joint aches on day 2.

I convinced 2 buddies to also join the vaccine trial. Dave had 2nd injection 9 days ago and stayed in bed on day 2. Slight fever and serious fatigue. Steve had the second injection yesterday. He is running a 100+ fever and feels like Crud (body aches and fatigue).

So the vaccine is no joy either! But at least I'm not worried about GETTING Covid-19.

I have had a couple of my employees get it, one was symptomatic, the other not. The two work closely so one gave it to the other. We only have 10 employees, and it was a huge PIA getting everyone tested and trying to stop it from spreading to the point we would need to shut down. Not too serious in young people -- it's passing it on the the elderly and more vulnerable that you need to worry about. My stepbrother's grandfather died from it. He was 92, checked into the hospital due to dehydration, and some other health issue stemming from what we later learned to be cancer. Anyway, he ended up catching covid in the hospital, and then died from it. He probably would've had another 6 months. Kind of a bummer.

I am dealing with a VERY mild case of it right now. My symptoms started Sunday morning.......very runny nose and a slight cough from the drippage. NO fever that I noticed and I took my temp a lot. It was more like a tiny cold than anything.. I got tested on Sunday and the results came back on Tues at positive. I got a rapid test done today and it was still positive. I am going to stay away from people for 14 whole days OR 2 negitive tests. Nurse told me to not test again until it has been 14 days from onset of symptoms. I see LOTS of hikes in the National Forest. My husband started with a runny nose on Wed. His is just like mine was...........I am now at 100% feeling better. He is not feeling bad. Just tired of the slight cough.

This points to the fact there does seem to be different strands of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
From the CDC website

When you can be around others after you had or likely had COVID-19
When you can be around others (end home isolation) depends on different factors for different situations.

You can be with others after

• At least 10 days since symptoms first appeared and
  • At least 24 hours with no fever without fever-reducing medication and
  • Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving**Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation
If you had severe illness from COVID-19 (you were admitted to a hospital and needed oxygen), your healthcare provider may recommend that you stay in isolation for longer than 10 days after your symptoms first appeared (possibly up to 20 days) and you may need to finish your period of isolation at home. If testing is available in your community, your healthcare provider may recommend that you undergo repeat testing for COVID-19 to end your isolation earlier than would be done according to the criteria above. If so, you can be around others after you receive two negative tests results in a row, from tests done at least 24 hours apart.

I tested positive for COVID-19 but had no symptoms
If you continue to have no symptoms, you can be with others after:

• 10 days have passed since the date you had your positive test
If testing is available in your community, your healthcare provider may recommend that you undergo repeat testing for COVID-19 to end your isolation earlier than would be done according to the criteria above. If so, you can be around others after you receive two negative test results in a row, from tests done at least 24 hours apart.

If you develop symptoms after testing positive, follow the guidance above for “I think or know I had COVID, and I had symptoms.”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.