Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have the Krystal Clear SWCG that is part of This combo kit

It just does not produce as much chlorine as i would have hoped. Then I read about how the cell dies sooner rather than later.
In the mean time, I am on the fence about doing the hack to remotely turn the pump on and off so I can run on an intermittent schedule and be safe during a power outage.

With all that being said, I am considering a modification and was wondering if there is much of a trend for that approach out there? I already have the hayward skimmer, so I am thinking along those lines. Just wondering what the ballpark cost is to make that leap and if folks are happy with it.

I run a 3 HP variable speed CaliMar pump 24/7 at 1,000 rpm (83 watts/hour, 2.5 kW per month). The chlorinator comes with a flow switch that will turn the cell off if you loose flow but that should be used for safety, not on/off control. I think it's pretty standard to use a timer that feeds power to your pump and chlorinator at the same time on a set schedule. There are quite a few wireless/WIFI/smart options on amazon for pool pump control.

Thanks for that!
So I would ditch the controller portion of my Intex system. Fair enough. That's why I mentioned being on the fence to "hack" it or not just to toss it all in the trash a year later. The pump is decent though. Perhaps I can find a variable speed controller for it when I make this switch to a stand alone SWCG. then have a DIY "smart" controller for it all. I think my approach will be to have the parts list and plan ready and on hand. Then when my SWCG goes out, I can go with plan B. In the mean time, I will supplement with chlorine.

Still, I am curious to know if others have been down this path of hot-rodding their $400 intex pool (liner and poles are all that will be intex at some point). :D

By "hot-rodding" do you mean upgrading the system components? I certainly did. I spent 800 on the pool and multiple times that on everything else. I hard plumbed and buried 2 inch lines to the rusty shed you see in the photo. In there i have the pump, SWCG and 400 sq ft cartridge filter. You see 1.5 inch lines to the skimmer and return but those increase to 2 inch inground. Complete overkill, but it's practically maintenance free and i can upgrade the pool later without having to change anything else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-092748_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-092748_Gallery.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 7
By "hot-rodding" do you mean upgrading the system components? I certainly did. I spent 800 on the pool and multiple times that on everything else. I hard plumbed and buried 2 inch lines to the rusty shed you see in the photo. In there i have the pump, SWCG and 400 sq ft cartridge filter. You see 1.5 inch lines to the skimmer and return but those increase to 2 inch inground. Complete overkill, but it's practically maintenance free and i can upgrade the pool later without having to change anything else.
Ditto. The pool was the cheap bit...ha. I added eight 2'x20' solar collectors, 21" sand filter, dual pumps, a pile of PVC and ABS pipe/fitttings, dedicated pool shed, skimmer blah, blah, The salt water chlorinator only runs 2 hrs/day and has been fine so I have not messed with it. It's fully automated using a few sensors, Smartthings and an outdoor zwave power dongle that fires everything up when roof temps exceed pool water temps by 5F.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.