Anybody else's pressure go DOWN when their filter needs to be cleaned?

Deb04

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This seems so counter-intuitive and contrary to everything on TPF. When my cartridge filter gets dirty, the pressure goes down. This has been happening since the pool was built in 2008. The first dozen or so seasons I argued with the filter, trying to fix a leak that didn't exist, lubing o-rings, etc. I just started lucking in to cleaning the filter because I'd open the filter to lube the big o-ring around it and see the filter needed cleaning and do it. Now I know. But, really, why?

Interesting, mine doesn’t drop but never goes up. It’s around 4psi after a cleaning and still 4 psi when they are covered on pollen.
Once the heater said low flow and they were dirty but the PSI was still the same.

Just happened again.

I cleaned the filter 2 weeks ago. Pressure was 17 after cleaning and new gauge. Over the last week pressure has been dropping and today was down to 10. I didnt think it was possible that the filter could be dirty that quickly since we usually only have to clean twice a year. But, we opened it up and it was caked with pine pollen.

All clean now and pressure is back up. Why do I have a psychotic pool? Now that I know, I can live with this. It’s just strange.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.