Any way to quickly reduce chlorine level?

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I must have mixed up the dropper bottles in a hurry and measured incorrectly that I had almost no chlorine in my pool. I added 2.5 gallons of bleach just in case there were any algae spores and now I am measuring FC of 20 with my CYA at 40 which is above SLAM level.

Besides intentionally contaminating the pool with dog poop to make cc's (kidding obviously), is there a way to quickly reduce chlorine level without doing a water exchange? Tomorrow looks to be the last hot day of the year and I don't want my kids swimming when the level is above slam. I have a big tree blocking a lot of the sunlight now that the angle of the sun is much lower and I also have on the solar cover.

I'm curious....we know that sometimes, bacteria convert cya into ammonia then most often to harmless nitrogen, but
if the process is interrupted or not ideal, it stops and you have ammonia, which consumes chlorine also very quickly.

Would you need tons of ammonia (impractical?) to reduce free chlorine as the sodium thiosulfate does?
Seems like ammonia would be ideal since it is widely available just about anywhere.

I'm curious....we know that sometimes, bacteria convert cya into ammonia then most often to harmless nitrogen, but
if the process is interrupted or not ideal, it stops and you have ammonia, which consumes chlorine also very quickly.

Would you need tons of ammonia (impractical?) to reduce free chlorine as the sodium thiosulfate does?
Seems like ammonia would be ideal since it is widely available just about anywhere.

Ammonia interacting with chlorine will create high CC's and low pH and not very attractive swimming water.

Reactions: borjis
Simply leave the FC alone.

Raising the CYA may take a day or so for it (CYA) to be effective and the FC will be down around SLAM value or less by then.

This time of year, Memphis probably doesn't need CYA of 50 (,maybe next summer) so why raise it up and then have raise up the FC to keep the FC/CYA ratio correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.