Any tricks for PVC connections at an odd angle?

riny

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm getting ready for my FPH (heater) to be installed, hopefully this Friday. I'm doing a test-fit of all of the PVC connections though, and I have an issue.

The lines in the pictures go to/from the equipment pad. The pad is downhill of the heater location, so the trench is on a slope, and when the lines come up out of the ground, they're at an angle. If my measurements are correct, the angle is about 13° off of vertical, give or take. This is enough of an angle that I can't easily make straight connections to the FPH. See pictures #1 and #2.

I figured out that if I use four 90s on each side, I can adjust for this easily. See pictures #3 and #4. The second 90 coming off of the union is used to turn vertical, compensating for the offset. But this means a total of eight 90s added to this connection, which seems excessive.

Am I missing a trick for reducing the number of fittings? Or is it just not a big deal to add all of those 90s? I've already done a pump test (I used some scrap flex to close the loop) and am able to maintain the required GPM with the pump under 90%, so it should be doable. But it still feels a bit crazy.

Attachments

• fph1.jpg
    fph1.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 24
  • fph2.jpg
    fph2.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 24
  • fph3.jpg
    fph3.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 24
  • fph4.jpg
    fph4.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 24
You should be able to use a heat gun on the pvc

That's awesome, I had no idea it would bend that easily. Because it's already vertical, I think I'll get my friend to help me. If I heat it with the heat gun while he keeps pressure on the top, pushing gently back towards the house, maybe we can gradually bend it until it's vertical without sagging?

Reactions: Tcadwall0
@JamesW thanks for the suggestion to use 45s. I decided heat bending was too risky. I had a hard time visualizing the angles at first but this is what I ended up with. I did a pump test this afternoon and it's working perfectly!

Attachments

• 20210924_171056.jpg
    20210924_171056.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.