Any rust prevention ideas for metal frame Bestway pool?

OlympicKnight

Mar 29, 2021
Olympia, WA
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and first pool adventure for kids. I am looking for rust prevention ideas for a metal frame Bestway pool (13' x 42" from Walmart). I noticed there were a couple of threads a few years ago on this topic. I am hoping to get updated recommendations. I plan to treat the frame before assembling the pool. Thank you.

Good luck. I treated my intex prism frame before putting it up last summer, and I already have some rust. I think the most vulnerable place for rust to form is at the T connections (where the legs go into the frame). I think even with treatment (I sprayed all the metal pieces, inside and out, with rustoleum) when you push the metal legs into the frame, some of the coating may rub off, resulting in rust over time. Just a guess. I'm really frustrated bc I took a lot of time trying to rust proof this pool, and it seems it didn't really do that much for it. Like I said above, I sprayed all the metal pieces with rustoleum. I sprayed the inside of the tubes as well. I did 3 coats over about a weeks time. Once I put it up, I wrapped the T connections (where the pins go into the frame) with silicone tape to try and prevent water from seeping into the tubes. I also wrapped silicone tape around the feet of the legs.

On mine, I'm seeing rust at the T connections, both under the silicone tape and outside the tape. Obviously water must have made it under the tape, so I wouldn't do that again...or perhaps I did it wrong?? With my last intex, the worst rust was also at the T connections, so I'd pay close attention to that area with whatever treatment you decide.

Reactions: OlympicKnight
The best thing I can think of would be a zinc galvanizing paint. But its very far from cheap and leaves a very dull grey finish.

Of the top of my head $150-200 for a gallon.

Look for a galvanizing paint with 93% zinc.

I'll second @scout123 there's no way to do it, it will just rub off at the joints.

Rust doesn't seem to me like that big of a problem on these pools unless there's salt exposure or you're expecting it to last 10 years. The ladders though, those rust out in a year even in non salt water. Solution is replace with an all resin ladder.

+3. You can chase your tail here a good deal. Certainly taking any precautions will help like painting everything, but in the end the frame moves and will wear off the coatings. Those spots will rust eventually no matter what.

You have to balance how much effort and money you will spend by how long it will last. You can help delay the inevitable but you can’t stop it.

You can probably extend the life to one 4/5 year liner change but after that the liner for your model will be discontinued and even if the frame is still going, it will be a moot point.

Hello everyone,
This is my first post and first pool adventure for kids. I am looking for rust prevention ideas for a metal frame Bestway pool (13' x 42" from Walmart). I noticed there were a couple of threads a few years ago on this topic. I am hoping to get updated recommendations. I plan to treat the frame before assembling the pool. Thank you.
I’m looking to do the same. Any advice on how many cans of Rustoleum primer and paint (spray) a 16’ x 48” frame would require?

i have had Intex type pools for last 11 years. we just installed a 22 feet Coleman. I have always had similar problems with it rusting out. I researched it a lot and did the following on this latest install to help prevent rusting:
1) Sprayed Boeing T-9, bought it on Amazon inside any of the metal parts i could - it is a water displacement combined with a wax
2) put car wax on the outside of all metal pieces, including the horizontal pieces before you slide them through the liner
3) put poles on pavers that were leveled with the ground (keeps poles away from sand/dirt which hold moisture)
4) put a 1-2 foot ring of weed barrier covered in rock all the way around the pool (keeps grass, plants away from poles)
*** basically trying to ensure that water does not remain on any metal for an extended period of time

My next dilemma is how to keep water from frequent contact coming through the deck which overlaps the edge of the pool?

Reactions: Sarah2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have had Intex type pools for last 11 years. we just installed a 22 feet Coleman. I have always had similar problems with it rusting out. I researched it a lot and did the following on this latest install to help prevent rusting:
1) Sprayed Boeing T-9, bought it on Amazon inside any of the metal parts i could - it is a water displacement combined with a wax
2) put car wax on the outside of all metal pieces, including the horizontal pieces before you slide them through the liner
3) put poles on pavers that were leveled with the ground (keeps poles away from sand/dirt which hold moisture)
4) put a 1-2 foot ring of weed barrier covered in rock all the way around the pool (keeps grass, plants away from poles)
*** basically trying to ensure that water does not remain on any metal for an extended period of time

My next dilemma is how to keep water from frequent contact coming through the deck which overlaps the edge of the pool?
Great ideas! Thank you!

If you do get rust, nip it in the bud early. I found some rust last year and took care of it by using a wire brush on it to get down to bare metal, then I sprayed it with Rustoleum rust converter, then 24 hrs later top coated it with Rustoleum paint. No new rust this year!

I’m not sure if you’ve addressed this yet but I actually called rustoleum and they gave me the name of 2 or 3 different products that were used to prevent rust. The main thing you need to tell them is the metals that you are protecting to make sure you have the correct product. One came in spray paint form and the other ones you could choose spray paint or a small container of regular paint. If you want to make sure you get the right info call back and run the scenario by another representative! Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.