Any issue with keeping FC of 10 as it is the max for a CYA of 70

About the only issue is your at the limit for testing PH at 10 FC.. You may let it drift down to 9 every once and awhile to know for sure your PH is good... Right at 10 it should not be too high.. :)

With that said I think you are good to do let your FC go down to 7.. that is where I have had mine for the last 5 years and it is a great set point... the only issue I had my breaker tripped for 2 days before I noticed it and my FC level fell to 3FC, I SLAMed for 2 days and everything was great again...

Staying above your target range is ok but know that SWGs have a life expectancy based on the hours of operation. Why not target 6 or 7? Peak season has not arrived yet so FC loss will increase and demand will rise so monitor your system and make minor adjustments as required to stay in the zone, FC/CYA Levels

Staying above your target range is ok but know that SWGs have a life expectancy based on the hours of operation. Why not target 6 or 7? Peak season has not arrived yet so FC loss will increase and demand will rise so monitor your system and make minor adjustments as required to stay in the zone, FC/CYA Levels
Thanks for the chart, I realize why I’m targeting so high now.

I rely more on the Pool Math app (results linked to my profile) and the Pool Match app shows that the recommended FC is between 3 and 10.

While the chart you linked shows a min of 3 and a max of 5.

Why does the pool calculator show a recommend range double of the chart?

Thanks for the chart, I realize why I’m targeting so high now.

I rely more on the Pool Math app (results linked to my profile) and the Pool Match app shows that the recommended FC is between 3 and 10.

While the chart you linked shows a min of 3 and a max of 5.

Why does the pool calculator show a recommend range double of the chart?
You have a SWCG and that chart is for liquid chlorine. If you read the note below it, it says the SWCG allows a bit lower chlorine levels, with a theory on why. Though the chart says max of 10 for CYA 70. Which column were you using?

You have a SWCG and that chart is for liquid chlorine. If you read the note below it, it says the SWCG allows a bit lower chlorine levels, with a theory on why. Though the chart says max of 10 for CYA 70. Which column were you using?

the chart has another tab for SWG, and that’s where it shows the CYA of 70 with a min of 3 and max of 5 but my issue is that the Pool Math App shows a max of 10 as allowable, and it’s specified in the tool that in using a SWG.

the chart has another tab for SWG, and that’s where it shows the CYA of 70 with a min of 3 and max of 5 but my issue is that the Pool Math App shows a max of 10 as allowable, and it’s specified in the tool that in using a SWG.

it doesn’t show a max, just a recommended target of 5. Or am I missing a tab?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
App gives a target range, chart gives a single value in the midst of that range. I personally don’t have any issues with that, but tagging @Leebo to take note of your concern.

Understood but there should be consistency between the chart and the app.

They both use the same language, being “Target”, so chart refers to Min 3 FC and Target 5 FC.

App says “Target” 3 <-> 10.
Oh, I see. The overview page on the app shows “target” but shows the min and max range. But when you open the FC detail, it just says recommended 3-10.
The target is designed to be kinda what you shoot for, but 3 is the absolute floor that you don’t let it get below under any circumstances.

Reactions: cowboycasey
About the only issue is your at the limit for testing PH at 10 FC.. You may let it drift down to 9 every once and awhile to know for sure your PH is good... Right at 10 it should not be too high.. :)

With that said I think you are good to do let your FC go down to 7.. that is where I have had mine for the last 5 years and it is a great set point... the only issue I had my breaker tripped for 2 days before I noticed it and my FC level fell to 3FC, I SLAMed for 2 days and everything was great again...
Is this just for the optical test, or is it an issue with the pH meters as well? I seem to be able to read pH fine with my$20 pH meter and make adjustments. I generally keep my FC a bit ove 10 (CYA 70-80).

The chart shows min and target, not max.
True. But the wisdom here is you can swim all the way up to SLAM level. So, I guess I would put that as the "MAX". And you are not likely to reach SLAM level with a SWG.

OTOH, too high a SWG setting will "use up" the life of your salt cell, prematurely. They are rated to make a certain amount of FC over their life, which translates to a certain number of full power hours. This is a good reason not to set it too high.
I keep mine a bit high due to paranoia over Mustard Algae. I suffered MA for many year before coming here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.