Any idea what this junk is? (SoCal area)

karl_burns

May 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Hi team,
The pool has been clean for months (I still have a guy service it. I'll take over shortly...), but this week I started seeing a grey silt like substance gather at the bottom. When I run the dolphin it seems to pick it up, but I don't know if it's just swirling it around to settle a couple of hours later.
I live in the San Fernando Valley North of Los Angeles. Is there something around here that could cause this? I haven't heard anything from my neighbors, so it might be just me.
Karl
Junk in pool 1.jpgJunk in pool 2.jpg

Looks like dead algae. The pool water looks cloudy also. How do you chlorinate? How do you test your pool water chemistry? What are recent pool water chemistry test results?

I had a similar issue with my recent conversion to Salt Water Chlorination and the subsequent startup unbalanced chemistry. I began by cleaning the filter which was very dirty from filtering some of the dead algae. Once I got my chlorine levels up and phosphates reduced (e.g. A couple of dayds) everything cleared up and has not returned.

I would get that sort of stuff every so often. I believe ti is either dead algae or pollen (or both). The reason I think it may no be algae is because my chlorine consumption does not changed, and my CC never went above 0. It also only appears early in the season (when the trees are blooming and pollen counts are high)

Anyway, same issue. I would vacuum and it would be back the next day. I started using a slime bag, putting it on when I vacuum and leaving it on the return for about 2 hours after I finish. Problem solved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.