Any heating recommendations for 3000G above ground pool?

OlympicKnight

Mar 29, 2021
Olympia, WA
I am in the process of installing a 3000 gallons above-ground Bestway pool (13' x 42"), mainly for two kindergarteners. I live in Western Washington, where the weather stays cooler for eight months a year. The temperature on our Summer nights gets into the low 50s. We will be weekend warriors (Thursday evening through Sunday evening); I prefer to keep pool temperature around 85-90 degrees. For the majority of the year, I anticipate heating the pool 20-30 degrees higher than ambient temperature. Our electricity cost is $0.06755 per kilowatt-hour. Our propane cost is $2 per gallon. I have no access to natural gas. I will be adding a solar heater for the Summer months. However, the solar heater may be useless for six to eight months a year due to the famous Washington rain and overcast. I hope to use the pool as long as possible, even in the cooler months. I plan to use a thermal blanket and 2" XPS foam board insulation from Home Depot.
Would you have any recommendations for pool heating? Propane vs. Electric? What size heater should I get? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

The problem you have is the pump and filter are really small and everything your looking for is at least 1.5 inch plumbing and over 30 gallons per minute.. To do what you want you really need to get a bigger above ground pool setup with 1.5 inch hard plumbing with a skimmer in the side of the pool.. The pump you have may do 10 to 15 gallons per minute, maybe....

All of it can be done as I have done it on mine...

For your temp and humidity a heat pump will work perfect for you, it will easily keep your temp at 85 degrees... They are not cheap but worth it...

This is a VS model, it will save money by running at a lower rpm and still creating heat..

this is a little smaller than the vs and should work just fine for your pool but it runs full out all the time and turns off once it get to your set temp..

Here is a 3/4 hp pool pump and filter that you can hard pipe with a heat pump easily :)

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: OlympicKnight
With a small pool volume and low electric cost, research a tankless water heater to heat the pool. Would have to look at max flow rates and how that all fits in but there is at least one member that installed a pool using one. Try a search of the forum.

Reactions: OlympicKnight
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.