Any hacks for a remote controlled Black and Decker Pool yet?

TriLife

Oct 2, 2019
El Carmen de Viboral, Antioquía, Colombia
Pool Size
Greetings;

So, I'm in need of a second pool pump for my juacuzzi. I currently have a Pentair Intelliflo VSF, connected to their ScreenLogic or whatever it is called. It can control only one pump.

Ran across this new Black and Decker 3HP pump, which is significantly cheaper that another VSF.

Has anyone tried to hack the controller yet, so maybe it can be remote controlled?

The manual gives a hint that the keypad is communicating with the pump via a 5 wire cable:
E-16—Communication Link between the HMI and Motor Control has been Lost: Check the jacketed wire on the back side of the keypad inside the drive top cover. Ensure that the 5 pin connector is properly plugged into the socket and that there is no damage to the cable.
That would indicate a communication protocol of some sort...

Cheers.

Check out this list of pumps on the Energy Star site. All show the same Energy Star partner and the same specs. If you review manuals and compare photos, you'll see they all appear to be the same basic pump. It's likely manufactured off-shore, imported, and rebranded by a variety of different retailers. Some offer better warranties than others and prices vary widely.

This is the best price on the pump:

Check out the CircuPool version:

CircuPool markets and automation interface kit for their version of the pump (Instructions):

I'm guessing it's the same pump and the interface would work on all brands, but as far as I know, no one has tried. Someone needs to and I nominate you...

Thanks for the sleuthing.

I'm guessing the BD controller is the same board. Once I get it and open it up. Let's see, if there are any lonely terminals or anything like it in there. If not, I'll try to get one of those controllers you linked to...

The manual doesn't look like it would he an RS485, but start/stop/speed is what we really need anyway.

Watch this space, but don't hold your breath! This project is low on the totem pole.

Cheers.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I did notice this on PoolPartsToGo website:

It does list that does work for the B+D inground pumps (but not the above ground). It looks like it is the same one that Mike listed above (but a little cheaper).

Bump
Anybody try the circupool circuit board on the B+D pump? The one on poolpartstogo is sold out. Thanks

Just ordered Calimar VS pump and Circupool automation board...should find out within a week if they'll play nicely together.
Good, let us know. I’ve had the Calimar pump for over a year now and it’s great but I might add automation to it if it’s possible. I can’t wait to hear how it works!

It works!

The Circupool automation board is completely compatible with the Calimar pump and allows for control of the speeds with Aqualink relays. I'm still optimizing the iAqualink settings, but the automation adapter is doing its thing.

Unfortunately, I'm apparently terrible at PVC plumbing, and my plumbing is leaking on both the intake and discharge side. Going to have to redo nearly all of my PVC work (and have left the pump shut down in the meantime). But the electrical part of the job went smoothly.

Thanks for the post. This question has been out there for a while. It's good to have a solid answer. Let us know if you need help with your plumbing issues.

In the past, I've gotten away with using Red Hot Blue Glue for pool repairs without primer. I skipped the primer this time as well, which seems to have been a mistake. Will do it right the second time.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Greetings;

So, I'm in need of a second pool pump for my juacuzzi. I currently have a Pentair Intelliflo VSF, connected to their ScreenLogic or whatever it is called. It can control only one pump.

Ran across this new Black and Decker 3HP pump, which is significantly cheaper that another VSF.

Has anyone tried to hack the controller yet, so maybe it can be remote controlled?

The manual gives a hint that the keypad is communicating with the pump via a 5 wire cable:
E-16—Communication Link between the HMI and Motor Control has been Lost: Check the jacketed wire on the back side of the keypad inside the drive top cover. Ensure that the 5 pin connector is properly plugged into the socket and that there is no damage to the cable.
That would indicate a communication protocol of some sort...

Cheers.
There is a controller for the Black and Decker VS pool pumps that wires up to Pentair One Touch and a few other controllers, look under search, Automation Adapter panel for Black & Decker....

It works!

The Circupool automation board is completely compatible with the Calimar pump and allows for control of the speeds with Aqualink relays. I'm still optimizing the iAqualink settings, but the automation adapter is doing its thing.

Unfortunately, I'm apparently terrible at PVC plumbing, and my plumbing is leaking on both the intake and discharge side. Going to have to redo nearly all of my PVC work (and have left the pump shut down in the meantime). But the electrical part of the job went smoothly.
I'm trying to connect my Black Decker VS pump to my Aqualink RS control panel through the Circupool automation board. Were you able to make this work? Could you share any pictures of the connections. I then want to be able to control my vs pump with the iAqualink app. Thanks

I described the setup in some detail here:

Also attached a wiring diagram of how I setup the relays. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Relays.JPG
    Relays.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 120
Question - I have my VS motor connected to the Filter Pump relay for power only (24 hours), then the control panel on the VS pump runs the schedule and speed. My pool includes a large waterfall feature that is run by the pump. My only desire in a new set up, is to be able to go on the app and override the pump at any time and run the pump at the highest speed only. So the waterfall is flowing at high, for entertainment reasons only. Can I accomplish this by only connecting the High Speed wire from the automation board to one of the AUX hookups. Then on the app I would go to "equipment" and when I turn on the corresponding Aux the filter would kick into high speed? Much like how the pool light works on the system?

@ TriLife, were you ever able to get the the after-market control board to work with RS485? I have tested the board with a jumper wire, and it works as it should. I also have an old wi-fi relay board I can use with it, but ideally, I would like to use my Hayward remote with it, just I like I did with the Hayward VSP I replaced with the B+D pump. Has anyone gotten this board to work with RS485? There doesn't appear to be a way to address it, i.e. they aren't any dip switches, but there is an A and B input. Does anyone know what the A and B inputs do? When I applied +5V to them, nothing happened.

Hello @mwrobison,

I got the pump, and it's still sitting in it's shipping box.

Instead of adding a second pump, I made some other changes to the system and that seems to work.

As a result tue B&D is sitting there as a backup unit.

As far as pool is concerned, my current priority is to get my Universal Devices Home automation to talk to the Easy Touch first and the IntelliFlo directly second...

Sorry, I'm not being of help.

Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.