Any device/approach for keeping waterline tile clear of light plant debris?

calbear

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 28, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Hi all,
I continually have light flowers, small leaves and other floating plant debris sticking to my waterline tile rather than ending up in the skimmers. It's a huge pain every time we want to swim.

Has anyone found a good method or device for dealing with this on an automated/ongoing basis? I imagine a product like this (Amazon.com : Solar Breeze - Automatic Pool Cleaner NX2 Cleaning Robot : Garden & Outdoor) but with brushes around its outside to get the debiris off the tiles. Appreciate any suggestions!

Cal,

If this is happening there could be something wrong in the direction of your return jets and/or pump run time or flow rate or a combination of all. Can you provide a little more information?
  • Is this happening every day or just when the wind blows from a certain direction
  • Does it occur more in one part of your pool or all around?
  • Are your skimmer over flow weirs/flappers working?
  • What equipment and models do you have? Please fill in your "signature" to provide this so you don't have to do this more than once. Here's how.
  • A photo or two might help.
I hope this helps get you some answers.

Chris

Cal,

I have the same basic problem a couple of times a year. My S200 robot cleaner does a pretty good job of cleaning up the water line tile, but I don't think anything will get them all..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Any type of breeze will overcome the circulation from the returns and push stuff on the top of the water onto the tile.

Brushing the water line keeps it clean and prevents waterline scale from forming.

Pine needles are the problem in my pool. I will make a lap around the perimeter of my pool and loosen anything stuck to the waterline.

As Jim said, a good pool cleaner that gets to the waterline can help.

Hi all, thanks for the input. I hope I've inserted these images correctly; here are a few examples of this light plant debris. As others have noted, the junk particularly gets pushed up above the waterline by breezes, wave action, and evaporation over time, and it's all around the pool. I currently have a Pentair Racer with the rotating scrubber on its bottom, but sounds like it's not getting up the walls enough. Will have to see what settings might help it crawl higher (though it will never get on top of a few underwater benches). My hope was that there's some surface device out there that could run around the waterline throughout the day brushing this stuff off so it could get filtered by the skimmers (I have two on opposite ends of the pool, with rotating circulation driven by four returns). There is that one device I linked that skims leaves, but that's not my problem, and it looks like it wouldn't touch the tile (the corner wheels keeping it off). I wonder if I affixed some soft brushes around its sides would it dislodge the debris throughout the day...

IMG_7420.JPGIMG_7419.JPG

Knowing details about your pool can help us suggest ways of ruining it to fix your problems.

Please create your signature with details of your pool.

You have a spillover spa? Any water features?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.