Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
This may be just a Florida thing, but some local ants have discovered the lovely sand under and between our pavers, and have decided to set up housekeeping. They are NOT fire ants, thank goodness. Just run of the mill little black ants.
I put down some Andro and other ant baits, and just did the clean up after leaving it out there for a couple of weeks. We'll see if it killed the current mounds, but it was a mess to clean up, and one of the versions (spectrum, I think) stained the pavers a bit.

Has anyone here fought this battle and won? Any tips from my southern kindred?

Thanks!

We have had that issue and our pest control company spreads some granules (bait) that the ants take back to the nest. Seems to do a pretty good job. Has to be applied in maintenance doses monthly.

Until I found Talstar P, I battled ants, spiders and other pests using insecticides from the big box and home improvement stores. I also tried homemade ant traps using sugar water and boric acid. Although the products worked to kill visible bugs, they offered no long-lasting effects. Bugs would return within a week or two. Talstar P keeps bugs away for three to four months. I purchased the 96 oz container of concentrate (about $45) which makes about 96 gallons at medium strength. Smaller containers are available but price per ounce increases significantly. It's pet/child safe after it dries and can be used indoors for cracks and crevices. Shelf life is three to five years. Been living bug free since I started using this stuff.

More info here: Talstar P Professional Insecticide

I perform my own exterminating with Talstar also! I think I remember the math and it winds up costing $1 per month to treat the whole house perimeter.

Marty is correct. This is the a proactive maintenance game.

I've had a 100 acre ranch in prime insect territory for ants, army worms, bag worms, etc.

Bifenthrin is the best for ants and Fipronil for termites. Look for these main chemicals and not just 1% and 99% inert. Pay more for the higher active ingredient and you are actually pay less per unit.

My motto: "The best time to apply ant insecticide is when I do not see any ants". It's a lot easier preventing infestation than fighting an infestation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.