Antifreeze and pool chemistry

It’s basically sugar water (yes, it actually contains fructose) and a triazine clarifier with whatever their “SmartZyme” enzyme mixture, whatever that recipe is …. none of those things will raise FC. Not sure what to say other than human-error on the FC test.

Dilution is the best solution.

I don't know for sure that the Natural Chemistry will help.

It might be worth a try.

If you really have 70 gallons of antifreeze in the water, it will be a mess for a while.

Reactions: JamesW
Can enzymes degrade organic compounds ?

Sure. As long as there is enough dissolved oxygen and the pH & temperature is correct.

Do I think enzymes will degrade organic compounds in pool water?

Not a chance. The presence of chlorine, a strong oxidizer, plus UV light, another powerful oxidizer, will probably inactivate most enzymes and destroy them.

So yeah, waste of time & money. Dilution is the solution to the OP’s pollution …

Reactions: revitup and JamesW
@JoyfulNoise if the calcium is "falling or coming out of the water" wouldn't it show the calcium level decreasing over time? Even if I tested in-between water top offs?

Yes. But if you do the calculations you'll see that it would need to be a significant amount of calcium to change the hardness level in a measurable way. For every 10,000 gallons of pools water, you'd have to remove about 0.8 lbs of calcium in the form of anhydrous (dry) calcium carbonate to change the measured calcium hardness by 10ppm. While calcium scale and flakes look like they might weigh a lot, it is in fact just a tiny amount (a few tens of grams at most) that can cause cloudiness in water.

Reactions: JamesW
Update......so got new salt cell at end of last year just installed when opened pool. Within 24 hours we had the white powder all over any flat surface.

So the only thing we haven't done is replace the water. So I'm not comfortable draining totally and then refilling. So we're gonna drain and fill at same time. I guess my question is......how do I calculate how long to run pump in and out to determine if I've replaced all the water?

Update......so got new salt cell at end of last year just installed when opened pool. Within 24 hours we had the white powder all over any flat surface.

So the only thing we haven't done is replace the water. So I'm not comfortable draining totally and then refilling. So we're gonna drain and fill at same time. I guess my question is......how do I calculate how long to run pump in and out to determine if I've replaced all the water?
Here's the info:

See if the fill or pump is slower. Usually the fill is. See how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket, divide by 5 to get seconds per gallon. Multiply by number of gallons in the pool to get number of seconds. You can figure out hours/minutes from there. :)

Reactions: JodieM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.