Antifreeze and pool chemistry

The only reasonable thing to do at this point is assume some large quantity of antifreeze is now in the water and it needs to be SLAM’d. At no point should anyone swim in the pool until the chemistry is under control.

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow
pH won't be reliable while the FC is so high - leave it open to the sun and that will come down. Once it's below 10 you can test pH. Don't adjust pH until you can get a good measurement.

You want your pH to be 7.2 to do the SLAM Process so I would let it come down below 10, adjust pH, then go back into SLAM mode. Unless you adjusted pH prior to pushing up your FC?

OK - you really want your pH to be about 7.2 because you can't measure the pH during the SLAM, and the lower pH will make the chlorine more effective. I'd recommend letting it come down below 10, adjusting the pH to 7.2, then going back up to SLAM level. SLAM Process FC/CYA Levels - at CYA 50, your SLAM level is 20. Read the SLAM process and please understand that it is not a one-time addition, it's a process of testing, seeing what you need to add to bring back to SLAM level, and adding, at least 2-3 times a day, as often as every hour.

You can also leave the SWG off - you should be testing frequently and adjusting with liquid chlorine, so you might as well save some life on your salt cell and just use liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tightened down fittings. Turned system back on and it looked like someone poured milk into pool. Trying to post pics but files too big and can't crop down or won't be able to really see what it looks like.

I think that the pool company really messed up your pool if they really added 70 gallons of antifreeze.

I would probably try to dilute it as much as possible.

You can do a partial drain and refill or drain and refill at the same time, but do not drain out too much or you could cause problems with the structure.

Once you get the dilution completed, do a full SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.