Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Suz
What a beauty your yard has become!! No more traces of dirt or construction. It all looks like it's been in place for years- nice and established and GORGEOUS!!!
Thanks for a few peeks at your private resort! I periodically peek back at your build to look at your tile ;)

Wow! I love your landscape. The areas along your walls and deck are so nice. We are doing deck all the way up to our walls because we need the deck space, but I wish we had more room.

- - - Updated - - -

The Chinese fringe and Mount laurel trees just might be going in ours. :)

I see you have a 1hp 2 speed for your water features. Is the 2 speed not enough to turn it low enough for you? Someone in a post I made on water features pumps said you can add some valves to help reduce flow.

Even more beautiful than I had imagined!
Btw, in GA and DC we call the purple bloom tree Wisteria. So sorry you lost the tulip tree. They are beautiful, but more so because of its meaning.

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
Approx 38k gal
Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
Sand filter
DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

I know it's been a while since I have posted on you're build but did you happen to get a multi port valve on your system to backwash the pools filter? Reason I'm asking is because if you don't have it, how are you suppose to backwash?

Thanks, hope all is well?

Well, a good bit of activity today. Two days ago, most of the equipment was delivered. Yesterday, three more boxes arrived. Today, the plumbing crew sneaked in and had been working for about 45-60 minutes before I woke up. They were outside my window, so either they were very quiet or I was dead to the world.

I didn't make it out back to look things over today, but I sent my 'in-house photographer' to take pictures. When he went, they were still pretty busy at the equipment pad. So we don't have good photos of that area yet. I was fidgety all day hoping these guys knew what they were doing. I was hoping our PB or his supervisor would come out to inspect. When neither did, I called the PB, and he said not to worry, all would be fine. Ok....... So hard to let go of that nasty Control Syndrome I have! I trust him, I trust him, I trust him, I trust him.....

Here are a few of the photos. I have no idea what the fun is in seeing these, but it seems these type of pictures are usually posted. So someone must enjoy seeing them. If you see any major problems, please call 1-800- LEAVE ME IN THE DARK.

Boring pipes #1.

Boring pipes #2.

Boring pipes #3.

Least boring picture of the pipes #4.

Thanks for checking in! Take care.... Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a rainy, rainy night last night with some strong storms added for a special treat. About 3:15 this morning I got the first cell phone emergency alert that I paid attention to - "Tornado warning in this area. Take shelter now." I turned on the tv and the weather people were saying the same thing. A tornado showing on radar not too far from us. I've watched quite a few tornadoes as a child and severe weather. I wasn't sure it was that bad, but I decided better safe than sorry. I woke up my son from his 'sleep like the dead' sleep and we sheltered in a closet. After about 20 minutes, the tv weather showed the threat of a tornado for our immediate area was over. I had been up most of the night keeping my eye on the rain levels. Even though our neighborhood hasn't experienced flood water in homes, our neighborhood is usually 'landlocked' for a day or more after flood type rains. There's always a first with increased building etc. From the rain amounts given surrounding our neighborhood, we probably got between 15 and 20 inches of rain between 10pm and 6am. I haven't seen rain like this since the low pressure system Allison in June 2001. Our street will rise up to the curbs with heavy rains, but settles down quickly when the rain lets up. This rain did not let up. Not since Allison have we had rain rise up about 4 feet in the front yard. The street looked like a rushing river for hours. And yes, our pool overflowed - big time - but it didn't come into the house. We do have an overflow drain, but it couldn't keep up with the continuous downpour of hours. The water was above the coping in a few places for about 3-4 hours. I was a little concerned that our drain was clogged somewhere, but when the rains finally let up, the pool level went back down fairly quickly. Our only casualty was the loss of our garbage can (one of those huge babies for automated pick up) and our recycle bin - they both just floated far away (we drove looking for them, no luck). I guess it's in one of the bayous by now! Not to make light of this storm, we were very lucky. Many people all over different parts of Houston and surrounding areas were hit even harder and/or or their drainage structures couldn't handle these rains. Difficult stories all over the news.

I hope all our local TFP friends are safe and sound.

I went over to TFP's Testing and Balancing Water section for advise on my pool post the deluge. I just poured in a ton of bleach as suggested. I'm so grateful for all the experts here!
Thanks always. Suz

A couple of pictures from the rains. Not great photos, but you get the idea.

This first photo is from my bedroom. I tried to shoot to take advantage of the light from lightening. It worked a little. The shots I missed had a more yellow quality to them. If you zoom in you can see where at the part of the pool almost closest to me the water flows right over the coping.

The second photo is from the living room. Very similar, but I wanted to see where the steps come out of the pool. They are just to the left of the spa towards the back. The water is lapping right over the coping, so you can't see the steps.

Did you and Nick get any sleep after the warning? How scary that had to be. Good thing you knew where to get. Our safe spot is in the front bathroom. Bullet knows the command "bathroom". It makes it much easier if he will take his 90lb self in there on his own!

That is an unreal amount of rain! Thankfully your house is safe. Are you landlocked? How do the cats handle bad weather like that?

Kim

I know it's been a while since I have posted on you're build but did you happen to get a multi port valve on your system to backwash the pools filter? Reason I'm asking is because if you don't have it, how are you suppose to backwash?

Thanks, hope all is well��

Hey Paris! It's great to hear from you. Sorry, I can't answer your question. I wouldn't know a multi-port valve from any other. I have a cartridge filter, so I don't think we backwash like when you have a sand or DE filter. I am going to text Mark tomorrow morning and ask how I can drain some of the pool water in case we get a lot more rain this week. The water is up to the very bottom of the overflow drain.

Do you have a DE filter?

I'd love to see some updated photos of your pool!!! I've been thinking about you and wondering how the landscaping went, etc.

If this helps, here's a post build picture of our equipment pad.

We are well here - just waiting for the water to warm up for swimming! I hope you guys are well! Any swimming there yet?
Take care!
Suz

Did you and Nick get any sleep after the warning? How scary that had to be. Good thing you knew where to get. Our safe spot is in the front bathroom. Bullet knows the command "bathroom". It makes it much easier if he will take his 90lb self in there on his own!

That is an unreal amount of rain! Thankfully your house is safe. Are you landlocked? How do the cats handle bad weather like that?

Kim

Hey Kim, Nick went right back to sleep. He had a doctor's appointment at 9. I laughed when he came downstairs and asked if we were going to the appointment (it was already 9!). I told him we wouldn't be able to get out, probably, and I wasn't going out to check it. We were landlocked in three of our 4 ways to go beyond our neighborhood. We live close to a big creek in this part of the county - Cypress Creek. It's our biggest obstacle. The other two ways out are a matter of poor drainage streets. The fourth, I didn't hear any news about, but we rarely use it since it goes in a direction we rarely travel. I'd try it if I had to, but chances are that trying to get back to the direction we need would lead eventually to more flooding.

I had gone to sleep around 2 until the tornado alert came on my phone. Our power went off about 4:30, so I stayed up a bit longer. I slept from 5:30 to 7. Our power came back on about 7:30 and then back off again at 8:30 until 3:30 this afternoon. We don't take that too seriously.... Our electrical lines, etc are all above ground. Some areas don't have trouble with that. But we're lucky, and our power goes out if the sun is too bright and it's windy - not to mention during bad storms! Lol!!!!

The cats were fine. They were very puzzled why we were all in the closet in the middle of the night. They weren't frightened in the least which made me think we weren't really in any danger. Growing up, when our cats or dogs were scared, we paid attention. Then again, these cats are pampered indoor cats and not the brightest pets I've ever had. Best not to depend on them for accurate weather forecasting! Nick's cat, Killer, was outside all night. Nick went out calling for him many times but after the rains began. Killer considers the neighborhood his home, so he 'sheltered in place' wherever he happened to be. But at 7:30 this morning, he was sitting on our breezeway fence with a huge scowl on his face. He came in, got toweled dry, ate some breakfast, and then slept on my bed for hours. Ahhhhhh, a cat's life!

I love that Bullet knows his command for safety! Smart lad!!! (but I wouldn't expect any less from one of your pets!!!!)
Suz

Hi Suz, glad you weathered the storm. Kind of scary that your pool overfilled. Hopefully you'll find a way to drain some water. Our un-finished pool filled all the way up to the overfill drain, but I am worried that with another heavy rain, the overflow won't be able to keep up. My son and I used a couple of buckets to bail a couple of inches out to give us more room ( it's a good thing the pool is small, or we wouldn't have been able to put a dent in it).
Stay dry!

Suz, glad you are okay. I never heard anything about tornados in your area. I think you may have gotten hit harder than my area. I don't think our pool ever went above the coping, but it was about an tile from it though. The overflow worked well. Good to know you just need to dump in some bleach!

Gah! I just saw this! Suz! I'm so glad you're ok!

Thanks, Wendy. Are you trapped up there? I heard they opened up the lake water to make more room for flood water. Is that affecting you?

Suz, glad you are okay. I never heard anything about tornados in your area. I think you may have gotten hit harder than my area. I don't think our pool ever went above the coping, but it was about an tile from it though. The overflow worked well. Good to know you just need to dump in some bleach!

There was a tornado alert around 3:15am yesterday. It stretched along the Beltway on the north side between 290 and I think around Ella - not sure how far east. Then the warning box extended northward to about The Woodlands - I don't think it included The Woodlands. Local ABC and CBS weather people both said the imminent danger was along the southern boundary of the warning box, and especially near Willowbrook Mall. That's a few miles south of us - about 10 minutes away. They kept repeating, "Take shelter now!" So, we did! As far as I know, no tornadoes touched down. I don't think Houstonians realize how often we get funnels that never touch down. I think it has something to do with our climate system around here - thank goodness. I've seen several funnels when I'm out on freeways. Here at home, there are so many trees around there's not much sky to see. The funnel would have to be directly above for us to see it from our yard.

I'm glad you didn't get that much rain to overflow your brand new backyard baby! I'm so glad we have the overflow. If not, I think we would have had water in the house. Ha! That would be awful and ironic - flood damage from our own pool. (hmmmm... I wonder if that would be covered under our flood insurance?????)

Hi Suz, glad you weathered the storm. Kind of scary that your pool overfilled. Hopefully you'll find a way to drain some water. Our un-finished pool filled all the way up to the overfill drain, but I am worried that with another heavy rain, the overflow won't be able to keep up. My son and I used a couple of buckets to bail a couple of inches out to give us more room ( it's a good thing the pool is small, or we wouldn't have been able to put a dent in it).
Stay dry!

M - I can just picture you and your son bailing water!!! No, that wouldn't work for us! Our PB forgot to do the overflow drain, but when our landscapers were putting in the deck drains to the street, I remembered! Thanks to TFP!!!! How in the world do first time pool owners ever make it without TFP, right?!

Did you ever decide on a landscaper?

Suz

It is better today - but yesterday all the major areas to get anywhere were flooded - but we were able to make it out going North to Conroe - then back South on 45. CRAZY. Our subdivision had water over the roads and up to people's doorsteps - but no water in any homes. Today it is down a lot - but there is just so much water the drains, pumps and retention pond can't keep up. You need to check out my build page - we also had a snake bite to one of my babies during this mess. She's doing better - but oh my heart!

I am so excited to see you on here! (sorry for the reason, but still!) I miss you!

- - - Updated - - -

OH! And we had a tornado warning too! Ours was a little after midnight. There was a tornado by splashtown on 45 (Spring area) and headed our way. Our phones warned us and we stayed in the closet too. The storms that night were like nothing I have ever seen (or HEARD) before. All night long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.