Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I was coming over here to post a speaker question, saw the one from 2017 at the top of the thread list, but wasn't sure if I should tag on or start my own.

I want something simple. 2 speakers under the eave of my house. Right now I use 2 UE Booms or a floating speaker, so anything is an upgrade. SO want's bluetooth, I don't. I hate being tied to the speakers, if I am streaming pandora on my phone, and look at a youtube video, it stops the speakers etc. I personally would rather be wired vs bluetooth.

I'm confused about the best way to get music to my speaker and how a receiver would work. Can I have a receiver inaccessible for day to day use in my attic with the speakers tied to it through some kind of app? Or would my phone be tied to it still? Should I have the receiver by my TV so I can stream the music from there?

I am only 44 and feel so technology challenged.

I was coming over here to post a speaker question, saw the one from 2017 at the top of the thread list, but wasn't sure if I should tag on or start my own.

I want something simple. 2 speakers under the eave of my house. Right now I use 2 UE Booms or a floating speaker, so anything is an upgrade. SO want's bluetooth, I don't. I hate being tied to the speakers, if I am streaming pandora on my phone, and look at a youtube video, it stops the speakers etc. I personally would rather be wired vs bluetooth.

I'm confused about the best way to get music to my speaker and how a receiver would work. Can I have a receiver inaccessible for day to day use in my attic with the speakers tied to it through some kind of app? Or would my phone be tied to it still? Should I have the receiver by my TV so I can stream the music from there?

I am only 44 and feel so technology challenged.
We used wired outdoor in ground speakers with a receiver and a google chromecast all connected with wifi. I can stream from any app and still use my phone. It works great!

Reactions: derekm and kne
We used wired outdoor in ground speakers with a receiver and a google chromecast all connected with wifi. I can stream from any app and still use my phone. It works great!
Do you mind linking me with a similar receiver that you used? I have no idea what to start looking for.

We also use Sonos, I’m moving and I’m taking my Sonos Amps with me as well as all of my indoor/outdoor speakers. My builder wanted to charge $4K for a sound system that included 4 speakers inside and 2 outside. I’m sticking with my Existing Sonos. I would bet it my Sonos sounds much better too.

Reactions: kne
What you are looking for is a Bluetooth music player. That way you don't have to use your phone. You could use an old phone, old tablet, etc. I use an Android tablet that has Spotify running on it. I leave it where guests can find it and play "DJ".

There are a million ways to skin this cat. I personally have a home theater system that can simultaneously be used for TV/movies and music at the same time. I can play audio from just the TV either in that room only, or distribute it to any (or all) of the other zones in my house and outside. Wherever the TV audio isn't playing, I can use AM/FM radio, onboard satellite radio, onboard internet radio, or a Bluetooth (or hardwired) device as the source and play that audio in other zones while still enjoying TV.

If all you're looking for is audio for outside, I'd recommend something like this paired with some good outdoor speakers. I have four of these under the eaves on the backside of our house; 2 in the screen porch and 2 on the deck. You can find good outdoor speakers for cheaper than that, just make sure you match the impedance and wattage properly (happy to help with that if you go that route). I used that receiver as an example because it has WiFi with onboard apps. That's what my receiver has and it is so convenient to be able to control SiriusXM, Spotify, etc. directly through the receiver rather than having to fool around with a phone and BT connection. Locate the receiver somewhere close to where the speakers will be (you could stick it in a cabinet if you want it out of sight) and run the wire through your wall to the outside. Just make sure the cables are either CL2 or CL3 rated for in-wall use.

What I wouldn't recommend is any sort of wireless speakers connected to a receiver. The only wireless connection I've been satisfied with is to a subwoofer, where delay is not as much of an issue due to the low frequencies. This year, I may install a few "rock" speakers in the ground alongside our pool deck for added audio dynamics.

Reactions: kne and Newdude
Last year I also added some speakers to my garden. I took a waterproof box, put a simple class D amplifier print (found on eBay) in it and connected a Google Chromecast to it. The amplifier has some speaker plugs attached, to which I can connect my two outdoor speakers. Everything works fine, even after a cold winter (cold = -17 degrees Celcius in The Netherlands). The Chromecast allows pairing with other cast devices (i.e. Google Home Mini) so I can sync the music throughout the house.

Last edited:
Do you mind linking me with a similar receiver that you used? I have no idea what to start looking for.

Basically the same as mentioned below. I got a Yamaha HEOS used from Facebook marketplace for $125. The HEOS functions similarly to Sonos. I use it for some apps, but I have found that streaming with Chromecast works just as well and is easier. the Speakers I used are these: GS3 - 8

I am super impressed with them. Good Sound, but doesn't carry far outside of the yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For my needs at my pool which is basically just some background music, I chose to go with free. I just used old junk I had lying around wired to some cheap dual branded speakers I put under the eve of my shed. I had an old class D amp (which died so I replaced it with a $40.00 class T amp that also has Bluetooth) I stream music to it from my iPhone or iPad though an old Apple TV I had lying around. I also have an old Apple Airport express I could use but the old AppleTV seems to pickup my router better out in the shed. When I want to enjoy high end audio by my pool, I just grab my Grados or Sony noise canceling headphones.
. 0A90F381-25DC-4B8B-BC08-764061C3CDAE.jpegAA1B92B6-257D-48F6-866A-B67DB8D3F43D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: kne and PointeTaken
I have a very simple but great setup.

I researched Bluetooth outdoor speakers (built-in bluetooth) but the reviews are poor and if the amp goes bad (built into the master speaker) then entire setup has to be thrown out.

So, I bought 2 outdoor speakers (same kind as Orion7319 used - they sound great), 50ft of 14AWG wire (thicker wire so your sound will not attenuate if you have to push more than 40ft from the amp to the speaker, and a small cheap Bluetooth amp.

Mounted the 2 speakers outside under eaves, ran the wire (it's pretty easy - red to red and black to black) and connected it to the amp. The amp was cheap, small and weighs maybe 1/4 lb (if that). Cool thing is you can hide the amp once it's all setup as this model has a small remote to turn it on/off.

We get great sound and did all the above for $75 (total). Worth every cent. If you want the links in Amazon, let me know.

For those tech challenged sonos or similar like offerings from nuvo or Russound is a no brainer. It’s pretty much plug and play echo system. Then it’s a choice if you want rocks or mounted speakers or an array. These are more popular now cause of the monoprice setup. Before that setup sonance and Russound was the main kids on the block but are way more money.

Me I’m big on zones so you don’t have to push 1 zone too hard and make people in that close area. I have 3 zone. Back porch, pool, pool house. Pool is array by nuvo. Other 2 zones in ceiling speakers. 3 independent nuvo zones. (So if sonos, 3 units).

Reactions: Turbo1Ton and kne
I'm searching deals since it's prime day(s). I am getting a cheap fire tablet that will be dedicated for streaming music, pool pump, sprinklers, other random house stuff speakers, etc. The only thing I am still a little confused about is what am I streaming the music to? I see that @Orion7319 is using a apple TV, but @Bigtymetexan are you able to Bluetooth directly to the amp without any other device? Yes I would like the links please.

So, I bought 2 outdoor speakers (same kind as Orion7319 used - they sound great), 50ft of 14AWG wire (thicker wire so your sound will not attenuate if you have to push more than 40ft from the amp to the speaker, and a small cheap Bluetooth amp.

We get great sound and did all the above for $75 (total). Worth every cent. If you want the links in Amazon, let me know.

I'm searching deals since it's prime day(s). I am getting a cheap fire tablet that will be dedicated for streaming music, pool pump, sprinklers, other random house stuff speakers, etc. The only thing I am still a little confused about is what am I streaming the music to? I see that @Orion7319 is using a apple TV, but @Bigtymetexan are you able to Bluetooth directly to the amp without any other device? Yes I would like the links please.
I use the below from my phone Spotify app direct to 2 powered jbl eon speakers works great!

Reactions: Bosley
This is the amp I have. I can connect to it with Bluetooth, but the range doesn’t work for my situation. I am using an Apple TV to steam to it just because it’s easier because we all have iPhones and Apple Music.

This is the amp I have. I can connect to it with Bluetooth, but the range doesn’t work for my situation. I am using an Apple TV to steam to it just because it’s easier because we all have iPhones and Apple Music.
This is exactly the one I have in my cart, but wasn't sure I was on the right track. Thanks!

Reactions: Orion7319
My Daughter bought me this as a Christmas/Birthday/Father's Day gift...and it is awesome!

I use it simply as a speaker, but you can hook guitars or microphones for karaoke also.

Another advantage is it is portable...think of it as a suitcase on wheels. I wheel it out of my garage when ready to use it and back in when not in use. It is also IPx4 splashproof protected so pool splash/rain wont hurt it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.