Another newbie - Water Chem Questions/Skimmer

Patsy B

Jul 12, 2020
Orlando/FL
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Newbie here,
Moved into a rental with a 10,000 gal pool. Although the owner tries to maintain it, I'd rather maintain it myself. I read some of the articles for newbies and am going to purchase the TF100 with speed stir bundle from tftestkits.net. In the meantime I have just tested with my simple test kit that shows PH and CL & BR but then I read you should do this in the evening? I took it at 12:00 noon. When you drop the chemicals in, put caps on and shake, how long do you wait for readings. Seemed immediately the CL showed 3.0+ since it is very bright yellow. The PH initially showed 6.8 to 7.2 but now after maybe 10 min the CL hasn't changed but the PH is 8.2. How long do you wait for the readings to register, immediately after shaking or wait for # min. This pool was not screen enclosed when we first moved in and it was green with algae. It is now screen enclosed and there is rough spots on the side bottom, some iron deposits and algae on the rough spots. I got in a scrubbed it good yesterday. Threw in some PH-Up as it registered as very low yesterday.
Should the skimmer be running when you spread the PH up in? I did put it in early evening and let the skimmer run for around 4 to 5 hrs.
I'm still learning about SLAM, which it probably needs but I am not sure due to the high chlorine? Anyways huge learning curve. Can't wait to get my test kit and liquid CL. I have not learned all the acronyms yet so bear with me.
Thanks for some advice.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Once you take your water sample, you run the test and record the result immediately. Never let it sit. Just discard after the final color change. See our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for more info. Also review the SLAM Process so you're ready for that when you get your test kit. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.