Another Newbie that needs your assistance. CYA level at zero possible?

imolas54

Mar 15, 2019
Long Island
Brand new pool owner here and just had the pool opened. Tested my water with a Tayor Tech K-2006 test kit and here are the findings that concerns me the most:

FC = .4
CC = .2
CYA = 0 ??? is that possible

Other data:
PH = 7.6
TA = 600
CH = 50
SALT = 3400
Water Temp = 55°

The pool company is closed due to COVID so I am hoping some of you experts can point me in the right direction on what's needed next.

Attachments

• IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7291.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 4
Yes, it is possible to have CYA 0. DO NOT ADD STABILIZER UNTIL YOU DO THE FOLLOWING:

• Add chlorine for 10 ppm and test your free chlorine after 30 minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes.
  • Test your CCs
  • If your pool does not hold 10 PPM of chlorine after 30 minutes then repeat until it does.
  • Only after your pool hold chlorine can you add stabilizer and move on with your water balancing.
Post your test results here and we will guide you.

As you move forward with FC and CC testing, you can conserve reagents by using the 10 ml test sample. Use one scoop of powder and each drop will count at 0.5 ppm. The instructions should be included on the card within in your kit. Use liquid chlorine bleach for significant increases of FC.

Use PoolMath for the amount of chemical additions. If you prefer a web version, Old Pool Math.

Do you have any other sources of chlorine like bleach, liquid chlorine, shock, pucks, etc? Those are typically good to get your FC up initially, rather than your salt water chlorine generator.

thank you and would it possible to let me know how I can add chlorine for 10ppm? Do I turn on the super chlorine option in the control panel?

You must use liquid chlorine/bleach. Your SWG will not raise your FC by that much.

Use PoolMath to determine the proper dose. I can’t tell you because you do not have the gallons in your signature and don’t know the % liquid chlorine you will get.

Do not use pucks! They will add stabilizer which may only add to your problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.