Another in Texas - Cypress

How exciting!! I hope they get you on the schedule soon! I've seen pools by your builder online--beautiful. I had sent them a question regarding Primera Stone colors and they were so kind to reply with lots of good info and recommendations (even though I'm in Dallas and not a potential customer). How nice was that?

Good to hear! I hope they stay as helpful through this process. [emoji23] lol

Oh YAY closing scheduled! I am so happy for you and hope you get on the dig schedule for next week. I think the weather is supposed to be nicer next week. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw your hand taped spray deck in your sig. Was that much of an upgrade from the regular knock down spray deck pattern? Our PB wanted an extra $3 per sq ft for patterned spray deck, but that was too high for us.

Oh YAY closing scheduled! I am so happy for you and hope you get on the dig schedule for next week. I think the weather is supposed to be nicer next week. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw your hand taped spray deck in your sig. Was that much of an upgrade from the regular knock down spray deck pattern? Our PB wanted an extra $3 per sq ft for patterned spray deck, but that was too high for us.

I think it cost us around $2 per sq ft for the hand taped, single color ("grout" will be base color of spray deck before color is added). It was another $1.50 to do the stenciled pattern with multi-color but we elected not to due to cost.

They use Decorative Concrete Dallas: Let us Beautify Your Concrete for their deck work.

^^^ That link doesn't display right so it may be better to go direct to their website. WorldWideWeb.istexas.net. [emoji5]

So closing may be pushed to Wednesday. Sigh. But... We're scheduled for dig May 30th and meeting with the pool builder on Wednesday to finalize details.

A few questions: I need our TFP designers!

This is the last design the PB drew. I left it alone even though there were changes that needed to be made because it was close enough for pricing, mortgage, etc.

I pulled it into Photoshop to tweak it and did this.

I like the lines better but I'm still not sure. Adding the very desired (by me) Suz steps ate a lot of our sunshelf and now I feel like it's too small. I'm debating moving the steps to the deeper end and have them going down the other direction like Helen's steps. I REALLY want steps like that since I have arthritis in both knees and in my back but I really need a larger sunshelf than what this design is giving us currently.

Another issue is the width of the pool and the amount of space surrounding in the deck all feels small and I'm trying to figure out how to maximize the space we get through the design. We got used to the idea of a bigger pool by 5 feet when the first 3 builders messed up using our survey. ☹️

We're also doing an 8' spa to be able to fit the Sharper Image Underwater Treadmill. I was trying to see if we could do a 7' spa and still fit it but my husband says it will be a tight for even if we make the benches 16" instead 18". The dimensions on that are 34Lx26Wx48H and we need to have room to get it in and out easily. Underwater Treadmill @ Sharper Image

Thoughts? Ideas? Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That treadmill is pricey!! Or I am out of touch. Do you leave it in water all the time? How easy will it be to take it in and out of water? Will salt water affect anything?

As you can easily guess...I am not a treadmill type of person :) I'm not even an exercise type of person :)

What is the depth of the sunshelf? What are the depths of the Suz-steps? Could you make the sunshelf the whole area where the steps are and do steps off the shelf? Like this
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cd/90/31/cd9031282bb78dc80588f70c18adb6db.jpg

I think a too small sunshelf would be a disaster if you want lounge chairs on it. This one looks a little crowded. If you don't want lounge chairs then it won't be an issue.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL71/1932540/7168892/100215225.jpg

I think Fire has the best solution. That was actually my first thought was to move the steps to the other side of the spa. Maybe make them curve around to follow the spa and then you can use the edge as a handrail.

Thanks for all the great feedback!!

Can you put the Suz steps around the other side of the spa, inbetween the light and spa and shorten the length of them a little?

That's a good idea. I wish I could play with that drawing myself but I don't think I'm that talented. I'm going to discuss it with the PB and see if she can make time to draw it out in pool studio. [emoji16]

Who did you go with...PB-A, PB-B or PB-C?

Skimmed the thread but did not see decision. ..

I think it was C.

That treadmill is pricey!! Or I am out of touch. Do you leave it in water all the time? How easy will it be to take it in and out of water? Will salt water affect anything?

As you can easily guess...I am not a treadmill type of person :) I'm not even an exercise type of person :)

It's pricey but the cheaper ones on Amazon don't seem as well built. We will take it in and out.

I'm not a big exercise person but water physical therapy (including a treadmill) has really helped me in the past with my disabilities so I think it will be worth it.

What is the depth of the sunshelf? What are the depths of the Suz-steps? Could you make the sunshelf the whole area where the steps are and do steps off the shelf? Like this
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cd/90/31/cd9031282bb78dc80588f70c18adb6db.jpg

I think a too small sunshelf would be a disaster if you want lounge chairs on it. This one looks a little crowded. If you don't want lounge chairs then it won't be an issue.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL71/1932540/7168892/100215225.jpg

The depth is 9 inches. Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. It feels way too small right now.

My biggest concern with putting the steps in the pool is it is already narrow at only 10' and I don't want to eat any more of that space. I think Fire's idea may work and if not I'm going to see what putting Helen steps into the deep end would look like.

Can you make the spa more oval in shape? Have it go farther toward the 5' section of walkway toward the fire pit?

Also what is the purpose of the triangle of deck behind your fire pit? That seems like unused cement.

Suz steps...... it made me giggle to see that still around. But even Suz (me) herself thinks they take up too much room in your plan. Here are a few cents worth of thoughts.

Thoughts on the steps as they are in the drawing:
* How wide are the steps in the drawing? (I'm too lazy to try to figure with the other dimensions given) Mine are wider than I thought they would be, and I like them. But I have often thought that they would have worked just as well being half the width they are now.
* I had the same space issue with the steps going too far into the body of the pool. So I suggested we bump them back. Since the steps start further back on the spa, that fixed the space issue.
* Instead of the steps flaring out near the bottom, have them circle or wrap more around the spa. Narrowing the steps and hugging the spa wall gives you more sun shelf.

Thoughts for other options with the steps:
* I really like fire and Marla's suggestion to move the steps to the other side of the spa. That definitely gives more sun shelf.
* If you move them over there, I think narrowing the steps, hugging the spa wall, and bumping them back some would make sense as on the other side.
* Now, moving them to the left of the spa looks like it interferes with the light and skimmer (is that drawing the skimmer?), so some ideas for those issues would be needed.
* Downside about moving the steps to the left is that it makes the pool entrance (using steps) further from the house. It's not that big of a deal, but I do like my steps being on the house side of the spa. Even though it isn't much further, it just seems a little awkward to walk around the spa to get into the pool.
* If the light and skimmer can be moved, what about sliding the spa to the left - almost at that end of the pool. Then you could keep the steps to the right of the spa (on the house side) and have the full sun shelf area. From the drawing, it looks like that would give you better room on the decking with the spa nudged over some and better space to bump the steps back further on the spa. When I had so much trouble walking even in water, I did like having the spa and sunshelf on each side of the steps. I could hold onto both. (now I don't need either side!!!)
* Do you need to put the treadmill in the spa? If you're taking it in and out, wouldn't it be the same depth as the spa if you put it to the left of where the spa is now? Then the spa could be a little smaller. Now, if you just move the steps to the left of the spa, without moving the spa, then the treadmill would be near the steps making it a little handier to take it in and out of the pool (if it's a raised spa, maybe even easier than lifting it up and over the spa wall.)
* Have you used a water treadmill? I'm guessing you have. If not, I'd hate for you to base the size of the spa for something you might not always like or need. (I hope I'm not offending - I just know how pitiful I am about sticking with exercise equipment) For me, (I'm not sure where your arthritis affects you) doing the treading bicycle legs in the deep end helps me immensely. And I walk a lot in the water using the slope up and down deep end to shallow. And I have to do my physical therapy exercises, too.
* I can't tell how big your sun shelf is. What are your plans for using it? (forgive me if this has been covered - I still haven't caught up on pool threads)
* Another thought that may not work since I don't know your circumstances (how many parties you have, how many people at one time, etc..... To enlarge the pool wherever possible..... On the plan above where the deck dimension shows 5'8" on the lower right of the pool - is this space needed for chairs, etc or is it more of a walkway? I know for our needs, 3 and a half feet is fine in those places. Then you could ooch out the pool a little wider in that place. Maybe some others as well.

I'd better stop now before I wear out my welcome if I haven't already. I love thinking of options.

It's a terrific plan. Ya'll will have so much fun and love the pool regardless of any 'wish we hads'. But believe me, I know how it feels to want to think of those things ahead of time!
Suz

Can you make the spa more oval in shape? Have it go farther toward the 5' section of walkway toward the fire pit?

Also what is the purpose of the triangle of deck behind your fire pit? That seems like unused cement.

It has to be round or it will look funny with the rest. The triangle was created when we had them propose the built in bench but we're not doing that now. It will still be there but won't be as wasted since we'll have mobile furniture around the pit. I couldn't think of a way to do the deck other than just straight on that edge.

Suz

* Do you need to put the treadmill in the spa? If you're taking it in and out, wouldn't it be the same depth as the spa if you put it to the left of where the spa is now? Then the spa could be a little smaller. Now, if you just move the steps to the left of the spa, without moving the spa, then the treadmill would be near the steps making it a little handier to take it in and out of the pool (if it's a raised spa, maybe even easier than lifting it up and over the spa wall.)
* Have you used a water treadmill? I'm guessing you have. If not, I'd hate for you to base the size of the spa for something you might not always like or need. (I hope I'm not offending - I just know how pitiful I am about sticking with exercise equipment) For me, (I'm not sure where your arthritis affects you) doing the treading bicycle legs in the deep end helps me immensely. And I walk a lot in the water using the slope up and down deep end to shallow. And I have to do my physical therapy exercises, too.
Suz

I need to be able to fit it into the spa so I can use it even in the cooler months.

I used one in physical therapy after my first and second knee surgeries. It helped a ton. Now I need a need replacement and they think I may have MS. I'll definitely use it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.