Another in Texas - Cypress

I've played with some of the suggestions but my drawing skills are truly terrible (I traced the parts that look right. [emoji23])

Help please! We closed today and I'm supposed to meet with the PB around noon to finalize details. Freaking out a little. I don't like the way either of these are coming out and I need more deck space on the spa side, not less. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top view is not what you will be seeing - don't hesitate to let PB know that you are fine tuning the design. I had my PB bring his laptop home and we were able to see things in real time. Spent about 2 hours playing around with dimensions and design and was able to decide right away if we liked something or not.

In the end, functionality should ideally trump over aesthetics (incase it has to be a choice).

Can you shift the pool down towards the bottom of your diagram giving you more deck space at the end with the spa?

Oh, I didn't think of putting the treadmill in the spa for the cooler months. I blanked out on that. My main reason for a spa was so I could do water exercise all year. Plus, the warm water will probably be good for your joints and muscles. I know it makes me feel better. Did you go to the water therapy center in Humble? That's where I went last fall.

For me, I'd rather have steps near the spa. I wish I had an ingenious idea for you.

What about steps at the top end of the pool? The top step would begin just to the left of the spa with the shallow steps reaching towards the left of the pool. They would curve and hug the wall rather than the spa. That should free up a little deck space. I will say my PB and I were both surprised at how little space the bump out took.
Suz

Here's one last option from me. I like umm's suggestion of more oval shaped spa. To me that seems to follow the designs of your pool. The round table is small enough to give accent but doesn't interrupt the flow of things. Umm may have meant this, but I've seen bean shaped spas that would really fit better into that space. BTW, in my drawing, the spa and table are meant to be round! Lol!!! I traced this from your drawings above, but just switched features. If you did the bean shape spa, you could bring out the sunshelf more into the pool giving you more sunshelf. It looks pretty big to me as it is. Those 3 features together make for some nice conversation or gathering areas.
Suz

Top view is not what you will be seeing - don't hesitate to let PB know that you are fine tuning the design. I had my PB bring his laptop home and we were able to see things in real time. Spent about 2 hours playing around with dimensions and design and was able to decide right away if we liked something or not.

In the end, functionality should ideally trump over aesthetics (incase it has to be a choice).

I think I'm afraid she won't have that much time to tweak it with me. I guess I should get over that. I know the top down look is 't what's important but it's the only one I stood a chance of trying to draw on. Lol

Can you shift the pool down towards the bottom of your diagram giving you more deck space at the end with the spa?

Oh, I didn't think of putting the treadmill in the spa for the cooler months. I blanked out on that. My main reason for a spa was so I could do water exercise all year. Plus, the warm water will probably be good for your joints and muscles. I know it makes me feel better. Did you go to the water therapy center in Humble? That's where I went last fall.

For me, I'd rather have steps near the spa. I wish I had an ingenious idea for you.

What about steps at the top end of the pool? The top step would begin just to the left of the spa with the shallow steps reaching towards the left of the pool. They would curve and hug the wall rather than the spa. That should free up a little deck space. I will say my PB and I were both surprised at how little space the bump out took.
Suz

I don't actually remember the name but I went to one in Katy and one in Cypress. They only if one treadmill thing that you would climb in and then it would fill around you. It helped a lot. I don't tolerate heat well in the joints actually. Too much makes me dizzy and my vision blurry but the nice thing about the spa is standing up to cool off quickly. Also being able to control the temperature will be nice.

I'm not visualizing what you mean by the steps hugging the wall instead of the spa. We're trying to keep a "swim lane" between the spa and the table. Do you mean like on that edge?

Here's one last option from me. I like umm's suggestion of more oval shaped spa. To me that seems to follow the designs of your pool. The round table is small enough to give accent but doesn't interrupt the flow of things. Umm may have meant this, but I've seen bean shaped spas that would really fit better into that space. BTW, in my drawing, the spa and table are meant to be round! Lol!!! I traced this from your drawings above, but just switched features. If you did the bean shape spa, you could bring out the sunshelf more into the pool giving you more sunshelf. It looks pretty big to me as it is. Those 3 features together make for some nice conversation or gathering areas.
Suz

Oh Suz I do kind of like that! Only issue is the sunshelf is now in the "swim lane" which my husband really wanted. Hmm...

We also wanted the spa on the side of the fire pit which is in that top left corner near the table. Sigh. Argh! Lol. We just want to have the cake and eat it too! Is that so much to ask? I mean what is the point of cake if you can't eat it? Lol

You should get to have your cake and eat it, too! I just can't figure out how to help you get it!!!

I said that was my last option, but here is the one I mentioned with the steps hugging the wall between the spa and table. The steps get shallower by the table. This would give a better shot at the swim lane. But if your husband does flip turns it won't work at all.

You have to stay with this shape due to approvals, etc, right? You can't start all over? I don't see a way to get the spa by the fire pit. Well, what about switching the spa with the table and then you have options for the steps.
a. steps hug the wall like in the drawing below
b. steps hug the sun shelf

Hmm... Flipping the table and spa might be an option. I'm not sure how big the changes can be but I think as long as we're not changing the scope or size of the pool and not trying cross any build lines that it would be okay to change it up. I wish I weren't struggling with this so much. ☹️ Thank you for continuing to give me suggestions Suz! They're helping!

I took Suz's great drawing and modified it slightly. If you go with an oval spa (I know you don't think it goes but I really do think it does. It will allow you to turn it to get more deck (I didn't do this much) and make it easier to fit your exercise thingie without having to make a perfect circle huge for something that is rectangular. I also moved the steps to follow the spa so the swim lane is still present.

poolspa_zps35xa713e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is another oval spa... I did a horrible job with your original design but you get the idea. I stretched the spa and narrowed it on the other axis. i pushed the spa farther into the pool that gives you way more deck. I pushed the steps and swim shelf over because of the spa movement.

PoolSpa2_zpsi6fxcs8j.jpg

Thanks Umm. You may be right about turning it oval and that would definitely allow a little more space without taking away the room needed for the treadmill. It's such big decisions and hard to get it just right. I have zero artistic ability when it comes to stuff like this. I so appreciate ya'll helping me fix the design! ❤️

Another option is to think outside of the box a little. Your spa takes up a bunch of space width wise because you have a bench that goes all the way around (plus coping). If you elongated the spa and did something like this you could get the same amount of seating BUT at the same time not adding much to the overall width of your design... (I found the image on pinterest).

ovalspa_zpsejkvmf7j.jpg

Another option is to think outside of the box a little. Your spa takes up a bunch of space width wise because you have a bench that goes all the way around (plus coping). If you elongated the spa and did something like this you could get the same amount of seating BUT at the same time not adding much to the overall width of your design... (I found the image on pinterest).

How does that have the same amount of seating if the bench doesn't go all the way around?

How does that have the same amount of seating if the bench doesn't go all the way around?

You have to make the spa more elongated to have the same amount of seating. In your design the difficulty is the width. You have 38' of length to work with but the width is limited.

Plus with a circle you are limited by the inner most diameter of the seat. You can only fit so many legs in there.

Let's say the inner diameter is 8' - 36" (18"x2) = 5' inner diameter. That is 15' of circumference (Pi*5) of your seating on the inside. Now make the inner seat diameter 8' and then have 3' to the wall on each side roughly that is about 14' about the same inner diameter. You can stretch even more if you want.

To help you get everything you want into the design, I'm back to the suggestion of either sliding the pool down to the bottom of the drawing or better yet (for me) stretching the pool down there and giving a little bit more length. Also, stretch the pool wider out near the bottom right of the pool where it notes 5'8" on the diagram. Leave enough room (3 and a half ft) to walk or put a chair just for watching kids in that area if you needed to. To me those could be wasted space. Keep all your people either in the pool with all those benches and/or at the top deck area with the table and fire pit.

Good options, umm! I'll take your drawings any time over mine! Lol,

I cannot wait to see the final product. This really has caught my curiosity....
Suz

I looked at the very first picture you posted on this build thread and I love that design...lines and curves. Just interchange the fireplace and spa....

That's the same thought I had when I dug into this puzzle last night. Then I remembered she also wants a table with a bench. Also, I believe she's received approvals from her HOA, etc. With some HOA's, you must reapply if you change the outside shape and/or dimensions.

Staying with this last basic design, I think umm is on the right track - a bean, horseshoe, oval shape for the spa. The round spa seems to giving some trouble to get all the features in the design.

I wish I had the capability and ability to do a nice computer drawing. It takes me so long to try to draw out all the options. And when the drawings are so ugly, it's hard to look past that. At least for me.

What about writing out a list of everything you want and then prioritizing the features. Maybe that will help you decide if you can let go of a feature or would rather skimp on all the features to get them all. Sometimes it helps me to see the list on paper rather than rolling them around in my head or on a design.

Suz (I love to work on puzzles. Sadly, I'm not very good at it!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.