Another foreclosure pool

Aug 8, 2010
South Jersey
I’m in the process of purchasing a foreclosure. Big inground pool in the back yard. Kind of a kidney shape. It’s covered and basically empty minus a million leaves and maybe 6 inches of rain water in the deep end. I really couldn’t look under the cover very well but was able to tell it appears to be a Gunite/concrete pool. It also appears that from being neglected the plaster is cracked and flaking off especially off of the steps. That’s the one spot I was able to peek my head in. Pool is being inspected by an actual pool inspector (not a pool company) this Wednesday. But is there anything I should know or look for before I’m able to see it in more detail on Wednesday. Am I basically just looking a whole refinish on the pool. Anyone with any experience like this. Any ideas on cost to do it. We are in NJ.

Is the pool equipment on the pad and connected?

The pool have an attached spa?

You really have to see what the pool inspector says. If it only needs new plaster you may get off easy. New equipment, fixing plumbing leaks, fixing cracked deck or coping, retiling, can all get more expensive.

Erica,

Getting a pool inspector involved is a good plan.. A pool, in this case is a negative, and should be factored into your bid...

If I were buying this house I would set aside $25 to 30K just for bringing the pool up to date...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Is the pool equipment on the pad and connected?

The pool have an attached spa?

You really have to see what the pool inspector says. If it only needs new plaster you may get off easy. New equipment, fixing plumbing leaks, fixing cracked deck or coping, retiling, can all get more expensive.

No spa. Looks like a sand filter and pump set up it’s not on the pad but did look like it was connected. I have no idea right now if they blew out any of the lines when they drained. My guess is probably not. I’m not so much concerned about the equipment as much as the plaster. Got the house for $90k. Needs about $40-50k worth of cosmetic work inside. Don’t really want to spend $25k on the pool. I mean I want the pool but probably not that bad. I’d rather take down my above ground at my current house and move it with me. Lol. I’m definitely nervous about what the inspector is going to say. I just know the steps didn’t look promising. I just wish the bank wouldn’t drain these pools especially if they are going to use it as a selling point.

Basic plaster job can cost you around $8K if that was all the pool needed.

If you buy the house and don't want the pool you have to spend some money to deal with the hole in the ground you have. It may cost you as much to properly fill in the pool as to bring it back to life.

Reactions: vvblondyvv

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So turns out the pool is 40+ years old. It is a “home made” pool according to the neighbor I met today. The original homeowner did something in the industry and built the pool himself. Approximately 46 long x 20 wide. Maybe 35k gallons. In 2012 the homeowner removed the brick surrounding the pool and had concrete poured but they didn’t leave an expansion joint around the perimeter of the pool so it’s pushing the coping in and poping off the tiles. The coping is a 6in coping which they apparently don’t even make anymore. There are some cracks in the plaster and the steps are delaminated from being emptied. Nothing was winterized so who knows about the plumbing. It’s a huge pool as of the phone calls he made to some of his people when we were sitting there we could be looking at $25-35k to refinish the pool and maybe 10-15 to demolish it. I would have to have some actual estimates done to get better numbers but it was deflating to say the least. 1E16426D-30AF-4823-84A6-11C1E25200DC.png9860EDCC-9FD9-47E6-883D-7E4E09FD5CA3.png8F1E0771-2D82-48DC-B295-83FCBD77F911.pngDD083952-2649-4D8F-8DD9-284A52E7EA3F.png86745172-37B4-4C6D-9C8E-CE8D0F3448B1.png

Last edited:
That will cost as much as building a new pool. It looks like it needs new everything.

Well, it certainly needs the cracks repaired (probably with crack staples) and replastered. Can't tell what the condition of the tile and the deck/coping is from the pictures but if they need to be replaced then I agree with the post above. Looking at ~ $10000 - $15000 for the repairs and plaster and another $10,000 - $15000 for tile, coping and decking work. Have the underground plumbing pressure tested for leaks before you do anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.