Another first timer...

WOW! That is moving fast! Make sure to keep brush at least once a day. It will make it look worst but will get all the yuckies up and into the water for the FC to kill!

Kim:kim:

I have been trying to once or twice a day! Since we aren't living there yet I have been making trips as I can. It is sad to go from somewhat clear to chocolate milk when I stir it up :D. I will hopefully go check it out and back wash the filter at lunch time today and put up another picture.

Thanks,

Dylan

Kim can tell you about my awesome greenness in Feb [emoji23][emoji23] it was such a fun time lol literally bright green the entire pool...

I brushed so many times per day that I had blisters on my hands but luckily my water was still really cold (had that working for me) and I was testing/dosing once an hour.. tamed the beast in about 4 days...

Then well stuff happens and just completed another but whole pool wasn't green this time [emoji23][emoji23]

You are doing right!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

022e59d5246cf2fd1192cb8db9949d90.jpg

This was today (Day 4) after stirring up all the goodies in there. On the downside, at some point during the night the filter clogged and I was unable to get it back washed until noon today. Getting closer to clear though.

4a169ae33b56870035769124d198fb76.jpg

SLAM complete yesterday. Took 16 days, however, I found out that the pool had not been opened in two years. With the cover partially off, a lot of small debris had built up. Also, I was unable to regularly check and backwash the sand filter, which slowed the process some. Overall I am satisfied and thankful for this site. At this point, including my test kit, I have spent only $100 or so.

Yesterday I added stabilizer (in socks) to raise CYA to 40, I added bleach to raise FC to 7, and I added borax to raise pH to 7.5. Roughly an hour after adding and running the pump to circulate, I tested and got CYA of 80, FC of 7 and pH of 8+.

I followed poolmath exactly, so were my CYA and pH tests unreliable so soon?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How much stabilizer did you add? Solid stabilizer should be measured by weight. The CYA test is the most subjective and hardest to master but let's make sure there wasn't an error with how much you added or your pool volume. It happens to the best of us.

How much borax did you add? What was your starting pH and your TA before adding borax?

I used a 4 lb jug of Clorox stabilizer. Poolmath called for 73 oz, however, I chose to start with 64 oz and adjust from there.

I added approximately 160 oz of borax, basically 2.5 boxes. Starting pH was approximately 6.8 and TA was 100 before and after adding.

CYA was zero before adding stabilizer.

Could the borax have clouded the water to give a false CYA reading?

It's unlikely that cloudy water would affect the CYA reading at all.

Is there any reason to think that your volume estimate for the pool is too high? Is the water actually 4 feet deep or is that the wall height? Since both levels overshot their mark by a significant amount, the most likely explanation is that the volume of water is less than expected.

The volume estimate would have been slightly higher. I measured 44" of water a little bit ago. At that time CYA was 60 and pH was 8+. I added 18 oz of muriatic acid which should take it down to around 7.5. FC did not change overnight - still at 7.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.