Another dead GFCI breaker - what is a normal lifespan?

csn

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Houston, TX
Hi-

About 15 minutes after my pump came on this morning the GFCI breaker died again. I last replaced it almost 3 years ago in Sep 2019. I also replaced it in 2013 (as best as I can remember).

Any idea what the normal lifespan is on these?

The one that died is a Cutler Hammer GFTCB220 20 Amp 2 Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker.

I bought the last one of Amazon, so maybe I got a refurb or used item, who knows.

My pool electrical box is mounted on the outside of my garage under an awning.

I don’t have a recommended electrical supply store near me, normally I prefer to buy in person, but not keen to drive 30 minutes to a random supply store.

It looks like this Siemens unit at lowes will work, but it will be a tight fit in the breaker box.

Do you notice any corrosion in your electric panel? Make sure your panel is sealed (I am assuming it is a NEMA 3R, please verify).

Came outside, pump is stopped. Breaker is in tripped position, but will not turn on and stay on.

Turned off supply to breaker box, disconnected pump wires from breaker, turned supply to breaker on. Tried turning breaker on, but it will not click on.

So this leads me to believe the breaker died.
Died how?

Normally, breakers last for at least 10 years or more.

Maybe a bad location with water getting in or ants, wasps etc. or corrosion from chemicals nearby.

Do you have pictures of everything?

Reactions: csn
Do you notice any corrosion in your electric panel? Make sure your panel is sealed (I am assuming it is a NEMA 3R, please verify).

Pool was installed late 80s and got the regular old GE breaker box treatment. The box does stay dry where it is. We have strong thunderstorms roll trough houston last night (1.5” of rain over 30 minutes) and the box was dry.

Note in the photos I have the internal cover plate off.

Attachments

• 0FE62A8B-07A2-4FDA-8CC7-8E8F58734D91.jpeg
    0FE62A8B-07A2-4FDA-8CC7-8E8F58734D91.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 38
  • A4B5CA84-5DE8-4B05-AEEC-A46812F50D8A.jpeg
    A4B5CA84-5DE8-4B05-AEEC-A46812F50D8A.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 38

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bus bars are heavily oxidized, so I suspect overheating.

I would replace the subpanel and the breakers.

Also, you have neutrals and grounds tied together, which is not done on a subpanel.

That needs to be corrected.

The oxidation might be normal for aluminum it might indicate a corrosive atmosphere or maybe a stray current.

There will be stray current from the tied neutrals and grounds, which is a safety hazard.

Yeah, you’re probably right that subpanel replacement would be the next step.

I’m not sure those are neutrals and grounds together. In 2013 I had a new gas heater installed and they just wired it into that breaker (it’s hard to find good contractors in Houston - the city is growing so fast and anyone can get a job…). The two brown wires go to the timer box for the pump. The two black wires go to the gas heater.

I'm not for the black wire feeding the neural bar, at least some white tape to differentiate between the L1 L2
Yeah, I didn’t do that work. Pretty sure a master electrician would not sign off on that.

Back in 2012, I didn’t appreciate that most contractors in Houston will cut all sorts of corners. It’s a lot different than other places I’ve lived where you need to maintain a good reputation to stay in business.

I guess I can add it to my lengthy home maintenance backlog. Run new cable to the heater and timer.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
One thing I’m confused about right now is I only see three wires coming into the subpanel from the main panel (3 black wires in photo). I don’t see an obvious ground wire.

Attachments

• E8982E6E-BF25-4F4C-8343-400F5576C741.jpeg
    E8982E6E-BF25-4F4C-8343-400F5576C741.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 13
The plot is thickening… I guess a long time ago, it was permissible to have a 220V subpanel with no dedicated ground. The original garage is from 1919, though the current garage is newer, I need to check when it was built… I wonder if the newer garage structure predates this requirement or it was built after and someone got lazy not updating the wiring. Fun stuff living in a 100 year old house. :)

Edit: looks like 3-wire 220V is pretty common. This stackexchange thread has a good explanation. I still need to talk to an electrician to look at options on the bonded ground-neutrals.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.