United States
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have an intex bubble spa that was purchased new in 2020. We use Bromine in spa for chlorination. We started noticing black flakes in the water and wasn’t sure where they were coming from. Upon further investigation, I noticed it was the rubber peeling from the underwater light, as I could rub it and rubber pieces would flake off and turn my fingers black.

I removed the light, drained the hot tub, and refilled it. A couple days later, black flakes come back. Drain and refill again.

Did a little research and found posts about black specks of paint in water and all posts stated paint flaking off of heater.

During that time, the hot tub started turning off by itself.

Reading some of those posts indicated issue was the pump.

Took unit apart and inspected the heater and could not see any paint on inside. It is all silver and shiny.

I also ordered a new water pump and put that in there.

Off and on, started researching the issue and stumbled upon intex.ch where I found a repair guide that helped me to diagnose my issue.

After reading that, found out my symptom was the display showing “888” and all lights lit.

From there, it said I had 2 options, a control panel or a pcb. I ordered the control panel and just got it in today. Still same symptoms.

Thinking it must be the pcb, because when I turn on the init with just the circulation running, it shuts off.

At this point, the heater setting is off, so when the unit shuts itself down, it is only the circulation running.

I haven’t tried with just power (no circulation, no bubbles, no heat) to see what happens.

I know electronics does some strange things.

Am I at a point where I need to troubleshoot the pcb, maybe remove some connections to different components to see what happens and if I can get it to stop turning off?

My fear is that logically, it should work with disconnecting components, but at what point do I say the unit needs to be replaced?

I believe I may be at that stage already, as intex no longer makes a pcb and based on other forums out there, some people are just now having their brand new 2022 model doing the same exact thing now.

I would like to try to figure this out, but that may be a moot point as if I were to get a new pcb, what will go out next?

I also fear that the heater may have caused all of this and potentially fried my board. I didn’t see any signs of worn capacitors or components when I inspected the board while checking out the heater, but at same time, everything could look fine physically but still have a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’m also willing to share the repair guide I found, if it will help anyone else out there.

Thanks,
Chris

Reactions: Runin1wild
After reading that, found out my symptom was the display showing “888” and all lights lit.

I’m also willing to share the repair guide I found, if it will help anyone else out there.

Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris,

Welcome to TFP!

What does the repair guide say about 888? There's another thread very long one, about these tubs where they fixed an issue with a filter cap (electrolytic) on the sensor input - just work down the list of titles and you will notice it.

I see you got system integrity on pump and heater, and that you have an electronics degree --- perhaps you can grab a controller off eBay and wire your own work-around? I know that still doesn't help with the black stuff question :brickwall:

Also, I kinda feel compelled to say if it ran from 2020 till now you probably got your money's worth, as a "real" tub meant to be run on 240VAC can easily cost 10 grand up. Might just be easier to keep some parts off it and replace with a new tub? My dad used to tell me to jack up my car, change the radiator cap, and slip another car underneath it...

I'm going to suggest also, if replacing it, looking for a 240V model on the used market. There's plenty of (good) advice to be had here on doing that.

Good luck!
M

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.